Monday, February 18, 2008

Weekend stuff

So, did I mention the latest surprise that El Burrito came up with?

He can count now. To ten. He'll be 21 months old this week. We are going to be in soooo much trouble trying to keep up with this one. He's already caught on to my trick of making things "disappear" while he's asleep - usually toys with small parts that he doesn't need to have yet.

Anyway, the only "work" we've done with numbers is opening his number puzzle last week (one of the tray puzzles, but without the pegs) and watching a Sesame Street video. And he's got this LeapFrog table that counts and sings the alphabet and stuff. So, sometime pre-dawn (!!) last Friday morning, he woke up crying. After a dry diaper and a sippy cup of water, he ended up in bed with us. He rolled around for a while, then sat up, counted to eight, and started talking about a truck that was going zoom zoom. Sunday morning, while DH was getting El Burrito's breakfast ready, he came into our bedroom, looked out the window, and started counting to ten. All unsolicited, mind you. We were a little surprised, but then we figured out a while back that the boy's pretty sharp. Takes after his parents, I guess.

Anyway, I did get a few things done over the weekend. DH went in to work for 4 hours or so; prepping for a meeting he had today. The "fun" part of being a project-manager workaholic. I set up the new aquarium filter, which does move water a lot faster than the old one, and watered the plants. Including the amaryllis bulbs, which hadn't been watered in at least 6 weeks, probably longer, and which may all be dead. Yeah, having a kid has been really hard on the tropical jungle I used to have. The catnip died, the redwood is probably dead, and one of the Chinese evergreens is looking severely pathetic.

We also went to DH's niece's birthday party Sunday. Two hours of driving, and it was my least-favorite sister-in-law's kid, so not a lot of chit-chat on their part.

I found it very interesting that the family who opted out of the Christmas gift exchange for the past 5 years or so (a gift exchange that would cost them $100 at the absolute max), because paying private-school tuition for 3 kids is so expensive, now has a big flat-screen TV in their basement. And I mean big - the thing is 3 feet wide at least. That can't be cheap, given what I've seen in the Sunday sale ads.

And that's the only catty thing I'll say about it. But I will say that least-favorite SIL got in another dig about El Burrito. His grandma was telling her how many words he knows from his alphabet book, and her reply was "It's about time." I bit my tongue, but sheesh. And after I had to listen to the story about her oldest knowing what a chameleon was when he was 5 or something, over and over, and didn't say a peep.

No comments: