Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Rain Rain and Books

It's been raining here all day, enough that there are flood warnings out for the area. Not that I'm against some rain, we can use the precipitation. But all day long is getting a bit much. Of course, since it's a good 20 degrees cooler than yesterday's 60s already, it won't be raining much longer. The forecast is calling for snow tonight and tomorrow. Only an inch or so, they say, but I've heard that before.

Anyway, it's been a dark, damp, gloomy day. So of course this is the day we had to go out and about - to the Post Office at the mall, Target, the library, and then to vote in the primary. It's a sad thing when voting seems to be more a question of "who can screw up the least" rather than "who will do the best job" - I need to find out which of the Founding Fathers (or whoever) was against professional politicians. I think they were onto something there.

Bookwise, I finished The Irish way by Robert Emmet Ginna It's a pretty good book, and it's the kind of travel experience I wish I could have. Unfortunately, being pretty shy and not good in social situations makes that kind of hard. Our trip to Ireland was fun, but if I hadn't been cold the whole time, I might have had even more fun. (And if we hadn't based everything on Rick Steves' driving times, because the man must drive way faster than we did.)

We scored some good books at the library sale today, for a total of $9. El Burrito found A Visit to the Sesame Street Museum, which he held on to until we went back out in the rain. I found the first two Percy Jackson books (50c each!), a Denise Austin fitness book, a book on water gardening, Barbara Damrosch's Garden Primer, and an interesting-looking teen fantasy, Legend of Burning Water, that's unfortunately the 3rd in a series.

And then we came home and found a 12-pound box of goodies in the mail. My sister and brother-in-law in Detroit went to the big car show, and sent El Burrito a box of promo literature from the show. He's read his Car & Driver magazine until the covers fell off, so we need some new car stuff to look at.

No comments: