Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Tuesday's Book Post

Recent reading:

I finished Beast Master's Ark this week. It's an interesting series and this was one of the better books so far, especially since I'm reading out of order. However, I'm not sure if it's Andre Norton or Lyn McConchie, or just an editor who wasn't paying attention, but the sentence fragments keep distracting me. Might not catch my eye as much if it was in the dialogue, but it's in the non-dialogue parts and I keep having the urge to get a red pen and do some editing. Too many college writing classes, I guess.

For example: "She picturesd the lighter gear, the feel of it. The pleasure of riding together, sharing abilities." That's just the first one I could find without re-reading, but there were a lot more. I like the series overall, I just wish that either I could ignore the fragments, or that there weren't so many of them.

Right now, I'm reading The 50 Best Sights in Astronomy and how to see them by Fred Schaaf, and Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods (which is hilarious at times). Yes, I'm reading more than one book at a time. I've done it for years. (I can also read in the car without getting carsick. A talent, but not a financially-beneficial one.)

I returned 3 books, a video, and a DVD to the library today, and came home with 2 books and a DVD. So the library stack is getting smaller over time. I also spent $4.75 at the sale - a handful of Jughead & Archie digests for me, a historical sailing novel called All Sail Set for DH, and a Time Warp Trio book and a Hank the Cow Dog book-on-tape for El Burrito.

No comments: