Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Stuff

So, what am I doing today?

Well, I'm trying to find something on the L.L. Bean website to buy, since I've got this $10 gift card that expires today. I didn't think it would be this hard, but apparently it is.

I'm looking into a few Ebay alternatives, since their new pricing scheme stinks (to put it mildly). And their "only positive feedback for buyers" is really insane.

I'm hoping that the skies are clear tomorrow night for the lunar eclipse - the last one for North America until late 2010. It'll be too cold here to sit outside for the whole thing - 12 degrees F, 15 MPH wind - but I may pop outside for a few pictures. I was hoping to let El Burrito watch it, since he's crazy about the moon, but at those temps, I think not.

It would also be cool to get a glimpse of the spy satellite that's in a decaying orbit. Spaceweather has a photo that someone in MO took last night. It's pretty neat. However, it doesn't look like it'll be easily visible here.

We went to the credit union meeting last night and had some fun. It's the employee CU for DH's employer, and they have a good annual meeting - door prizes and refreshments. They hand out $1 coins as you walk in the door, but the good prizes are in the drawing after the meeting. They've been doing gift certificates the last year or two, plus prizes for the kids. They usually have enough gift certs for at least half the attendees, then they start giving away the company-logo hats, shirts, and golf balls. And then it's a $15 credit on a "company wearable" (T-shirts, jackets, etc.). Everybody gets a prize, it's just a matter of how fast they draw your name.

This year, we came home with $75 in restaurant gift cards, a piggy bank and matching keychain (shaped like a pig), a folding kid-size chair, and $3 in dollar coins.

There was a new twist this year that I liked. The last two names drawn got a wrapped box - the last person got to choose which box. One box had a $100 gift card, the other had a $50 card. Much better than being the last person and having a choice of another baseball cap or a dozen golf balls (especially if you don't play golf or need a hat). I was one of the last drawn last year, and I still haven't spent my $15 wearable credit.

No comments: