Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Replacement Fun

My fun for the past hour has been tracking down contact information for Sandisk and Alliance Atlantis.

I got a pair of MP3 players from Woot (which I blame on Jan - her talk of a Wooted Tivo is what started my daily Woot check). These are refurbs, so they didn't come with the clear case that our full-price one did. Which is why I spent close to an hour digging around on Sandisk's website, trying to determine if they sell replacement cases or not. I never did figure it out, so I emailed their tech support.

Then I got back to work on a little project from Christmas. Back just before Christmas, I sat down with some Due South DVDs while I wrapped gifts. Which is when I found out that one of the discs on the first set is defective. I bought the set in 2002, all the way from Canada. Yeah, and I'm just now discovering a defective disc, with glitches smack in the middle of one of the best episodes. I contacted Amazon Canada soon after that, but of course it's way beyond their return deadline, and they recommended contacting Alliance Atlantis, who produced the show and the discs.

I did some reading on the Alliance Atlantis website a month or so ago, but today I found out that the companyhas been sold since then. CanWest got some, Goldman Sachs Capital Partners got the rest. Which makes it difficult to figure out who to contact about replacements for faulty product. I found what I think are contact emails for both companies, sent them an email, and then checked Amazon Canada again. Turns out that the set I paid $70 (Canadian, so about $50 US back then) is now listed for $21.56 at Amazon Canada (and an astronomical $104 at Amazon.com). That's a big change. The exchange rate isn't as favorable any more, but I may be buying another set from Canada soon, if I can't get the companies to answer my emails with any productive help.

No comments: