Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Library day

Today is Tuesday, and therefore library day. So El Burrito and I got our act together and went out into the wind. (Proof of weird weather - 50 yesterday, 30 today, 60 this weekend. Oy.)

Returned: 2 DVDs (one of which I need to re-request, I forgot to look at the coloring pages) and 1 book.

Checked out: 3 crochet books, an Andre Norton novel, and Ancient Egyptian Cross Stitch, which has some beautiful designs. Of course, they're probably complicated enough to stop me in my tracks, but I can look at the pictures and dream of the day when I'll have enough time to do cross stitch again. The "Regal Falcon" and "Tutankhamun" are especially striking, but I don't know that I'm ambitious enough to try Tut's 21 different colors of floss.

Right now, as a matter of fact, I'm digging through the online catalog in search of a crochet book I checked out a while back. It had a pattern for a bathroom rug, done I think in two strands of cotton, with a star motif done in clusters. I apparently didn't copy the pattern or write down the title, so I'm just looking at every crochet book in the catalog. Needle in a haystack. El Burrito and I went up into the 2nd floor stacks today and I checked every crochet book on the shelf. No luck, so the one I'm looking for must be checked out. (And the collection is skewed towards knitting - 3 or 4 shelves of knitting books, 1.5 of crochet. Unless the crochet books are always circulating.)

We hit a small jackpot at the book sale - we bought 5 books from the "Sesame Street Book Club" for $1 each, and left 3 or 4 behind. Also, a Tigger board book, a Pooh book, and Wolves of Willoughby Chase. Grand total $7. (I meant to pick up the Archie digests that they had, but oh well.)

The only reading lately of any substance was finishing A Walk in the Woods. An insanely funny book at times, but also really depressing during the parts about environmental changes along the Appalachian Trail and related topics. It's one of those things that bugs me because I wish I could do something about it, and don't know where to start. (See also, my weight, lack of friends, and house-hunting, for starters.)

No comments: