Wednesday, March 28, 2007

What am I doing now?

So, what am I doing right now? Plugging away at my Yahoo inbox, muttering nasty things at Windows Media Player, and simultaneously digging through a box of my "notes" on bits of paper. El Burrito will be awake any time now, and ready for what we call "lunch" even though it'll be 3:30 or so when he eats it. This is one of the little problems with having noonish for a naptime, but that's how the schedule is working these days.

The Yahoo inbox is currently at 1,631 messages. It's the address I use when I sign up for stuff online, so it gets a lot of just stuff. I'm unsubbing from newsletters as I get one I don't care for, and hopefully that will help. Media Player is being a rotten little snot - I've maxed out both the volume knob on the speakers maxed out, and the volume slider on the player, and I can still barely hear the music over the keyboard noise. It wasn't like this yesterday, so the MahJong software I installed last night must have boogered something up. And I've got this habit of making notes on envelope backs, the subscription cards from magazines, and any other bit of paper I can find when I need it. So last weekend, I dumped all those bits into a box, and now I'm sorting them out. Part of the notes go on the Mega To Do list, part go in a list of books to get from the library, and part go into a big word doc (actually, Open Office, not MS Word) called "notes."

Since Jan asked about progress on the riding - there isn't much. Stephens is supposed to mail me the info on the summer riding program when it's printed up. Since it's usually in June and July, I hope it will be here soon, so I can either get ready, or chicken out. Or find out that they have a weight limit and I'm not under the limit. However, I did remember to check the local Orschelns (a farm supply place) last time we were there, and they do carry riding helmets. Just one brand, and only three sizes, but also only $39.99. They didn't have any out to try on, which doesn't really surprise me. I didn't check whether they were ASTM certified, and I can't seem to find the manufacturer's website (odd, these days, for a company not to have something), but I am on an email-list for horse owners, so I can ask around on the list. There are a couple of tack store owners, so there's lots of information available.

The plan to lose weight before the program starts is also stalled out. I swear, if that scale wasn't digital, I'd accuse it of being rigged, because my weight has a 2-pound window that it's been stuck in for months. I guess I should look on the bright side - at least I'm not gaining, right? Actually, the Plan is pretty much where it always is. I sit around wishing I could lose weight, but don't actually do anything about it. Sigh. I also gripe about our lousy eating habits, usually while continuing to buy chocolate, and my cooking skills have gone waaaay downhill since El Burrito's arrival. (And honestly, I'm glad it's almost Easter, because I'm just waiting for the chocolate-covered marshmallow bunnies to hit the stores and go on sale. I don't care if they're solid sugar.) Lots of self-induced guilt there, especially since DH had his 3-month checkup last week (Type 2 diabetes, plus little issues with cholesterol, blood pressure, and now iron levels. Oy.)

Now that the weather is nice, I'm going to have to suck it up, stick El Burrito in his car seat stroller, and go for a few laps around the condos. There's no sidewalk, but since we're on our own little cul-de-sac sort of setup, it's not so bad. And there's a nice hill, too. Plus, now that the rotten time change has passed, DH gets home while it's still daylight outside, so we can take him with us too. Lord knows we could both use it. The hula-hoop workout idea is still stalled out too - I can't seem to get the hang of it, and I swear I used to be able to do it. That's compounded by El B's odd dislike of the whole idea.

Plus there's that whole "have to clear out the living room so we can get the door fixed" thing. And it occurred to me yesterday, that if we're going to replace the green fake-grass-carpet on the screened porch, we should probably do that before I move all the houseplants outside for the summer. The "grass" needs to be replaced before we list the condo for sale, and we may as well do it now and get some use out of it ourselves. Luckily, that's a job that will only take a few hours. It won't get done this weekend, since we're going to visit my folks, but next weekend should be do-able.

And now El Burrito is awake, so it's time for dry diapers and lunch.

No comments: