Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ireland Picture for Today

Before things get busier, here's today's picture.


Kylemore Abbey, in the Connemara region of Ireland (on the west coast). This isn't a postcard; I took this myself. But, except for the cars in the parking lot, it looks a lot like the postcards of the Abbey. I'll assume that speaks well for my photography skills. :) This was taken on one of the days when it rained most of the day, a good steady drenching downpour. And me without a raincoat to speak of. The rain kept us from going on their garden tour; they have a six-acre walled Victorian garden, which I hear is pretty amazing.

The Abbey was originally a family home, but the man who built it gave it to the Benedictine nuns after his wife died. Right now it's an Abbey and a international girls' boarding school. The interior has some amazing woodwork. The stair banister had spiraled vertical bars, which I think were all hand-carved, and there were chairs with matching legs. We didn't get to tour the garden, but we did walk up to the neo-Gothic church on the grounds. The Abbey has a photo gallery on their website, if you want to see more pictures.

No comments: