Thursday, March 22, 2007

Random Stuff

A collection of random things today. Enjoy.

I had a dozen auctions on Ebay that ended last night. Sold 9 of the 12, and made some decent sales. Now I just have to get everything packed up and toted to the PO. I sold two books for $8 each, which is about what I had in them. They came as a lot with a third book, all in the same series. I needed one book of the 3 to finish my set, and of course that was the hardest book to find. I finally found this trio on Ebay for $25, when the single book I needed was usually listed at about that price. So, after re-selling the two I already had copies of, I've paid about $9 for the one book I needed. I also sold some assorted Breyer horses, mostly from sets where I only wanted one of the set. A couple I'd been trying to sell for a year, at lower prices than I got for them yesterday. Pretty sweet. Of course, that makes up for the set I bought on clearance, for $4, that I can't seem to get rid of, even though the same set is listed on Ebay for $30. I can't explain it.

El Burrito is 10 months old today. He's not crawling yet, but that's fine and to be expected, thanks to the Large Noggin. He was average to a bit late with sitting up on his own too, and his pediatrician said he probably would be. He's getting up on hands and knees now, so crawling will be here before we know it (and before we move). He was in his crib yesterday and I heard him laughing over the monitor. I snuck to the door and saw him mashing his face up to his crib mirror and laughing at it. Too bad I didn't have the camera then. I grabbed it after I saw what he was doing, but then he saw me and stopped laughing.

I'm not sure how he compares with his large-noggined cousins, since I don't chat about the kids with my sisters-in-law. Don't see them that often, and they're usually chatting to each other or someone else. And one SIL doesn't talk to me that much anyway, and when she does it's usually some backhanded compliment that ends up sounding (to me) like a dig of some sort.

We went out for dinner last night, and I tried something new. It backfired. We went to Chevy's, one of our standard places - good food, and El Burrito's car seat can slide right into the booth, so he's not in the seat-holder where waiters can drop hot fajita skillets on him or anything. We're there about once a week, and the waitresses recognize us.

So. I usually have the Grande Chimichanga (half then, half for lunch the next day), or a couple of tacos. Lately I've been getting the fajita & chimi combo, which is yummy, and we've tried the taquitos (yum) and the flautas (too spicy for me). Last night I decided to try the Fajita Burrito. It sounded good - like a fajita in a burrito wrap. Wrong. The menu didn't mention that this thing was spicy enough to shoot flames out your ears. Sigh. So I ended up swapping with DH, who got the fajita/tamale combo. Except that it took a while to figure out the spiciness thing, since I was waiting for the wobbly skillet to quit sizzling, so all he had left was 1 fajita. We brought home half the burrito for him to eat later, and I had a peanut butter sandwich after we got home.

And that's why I tend to not try new things. We paid $25 for dinner, and all I got was a smallish fajita and beans & rice. And most of a basket of the delicious tortilla chips and salsa. It definitely causes problems when we're traveling and don't have the option of eating when we get home, or bringing leftovers home. This is part of why I was stressed in Ireland - the constant wondering about what if I try something new, it sucks, and now I've paid for a meal that I didn't eat any of, and have to go find something else to eat. Plus it's embarrassing or something, when the waiters notice that you didn't eat anything.

Oh, I did try to try something new in Ireland. Chickan gougans (I probably mangled the spelling.) Yeah. They turned out to be breaded chicken tenders. Which are my standard choice when nothing else on the menu looks good.

No comments: