Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Today's progress

Some progress today. I got rid of 6 pounds of magazines, thanks to Freecycle. That, plus the recycling from yesterday, totals up to 28 pounds of magazines and assorted paper that left the house this week, and it's only Tuesday. Of course, Monday is trash/recycling day, so that's the day that most things go "away."

I sold a CD yesterday, so now I have to search for it. A brief hunt last night didn't turn it up, but it's only been a month or so since I bought it (used, at the library sale), so it can't have gone too far. I bought it for 50 cents, and sold it through Amazon's Marketplace for $5, less commission. The commission is 99 cents plus 15%, so that's $1.75 gone right there, but still not bad. Of course, it was a total chance. I bought the CD because I thought it might be good. I didn't care for it, so I listed it.

Right now I'm searching Amazon for some of the CDs I bought at the sale last weekend. Partly to see if they're worth anything, partly because some are partial sets or don't have any liner notes or anything. I seem to have come home with:

  • Volume 3 of a 4-disc Porter Wagoner box set - the set sells for $100 new, so I wish I'd found the other 3 discs. Dad likes Porter, so I may give this to him.
  • Bob Wills & the Texas Playboys - The Tiffany Transcriptions, Volume 1. This isn't a box set, the discs were released individually and there are at least 10 volumes listed on Amazon. One of the Amazon reviews says that this is a real mix of music, unlike what BW recorded on the studio albums. To quote: "more a mixture of ska, jazz, blues, and swing than it is purely "country."" Should be interesting.
  • Van Morrison, Back on Top. His name sounds familiar, so I got this one. For some reason I want to think he's played with the Chieftains.
  • The Sarg Records Anthology, 4-disc box set. This one's an enigma - no info or reviews at Amazon. Apparently it's South Texas music, so it could be interesting. I found one listed on Ebay for $94.99, but there are a lot of people with optimistic prices on Ebay.
  • Songs of the West, Volumes 1 & 2 from Rhino. These look like they were worth the 50 cents I paid. The reviews of V.1 aren't stellar, but how can you go wrong with Riders in the Sky and Roy Rogers? And Marty Robbins?
  • The Mavericks, Music for All Occasions - Something I wanted to buy years ago, but since radio only played one song I didn't want to risk $12 on it. For 50 cents, I'll risk it.
  • Not for Kids Only - David Grisman & Jerry Garcia. This one had no liner notes and wasn't in the original jewel case, so it was a total gamble. Looks like it might be fun to listen to.
Between the Grisman and the Songs of the West, I think I may have found some music for El Burrito to listen to. Lawd knows, I'm about burnt out on singing "Itsy Bitsy Spider" right now. My Mom got El Burrito a mini See N Say that plays Itsy Bitsy Spider, and he loves it. I probably sing it in my sleep now. His is a bit malfunctioning - it's supposed to play the whole song every fourth time you press the buttons, but his is more like every time. It's a great toy, though.

1 comment:

wrnglrjan said...

I'll take the Itsy Bitsy Spider any day.

The Munchkin has a CD with "Thirty Days Hath September". In round.

One hearing and I'm off for days on that one ...

Jan