Monday, April 16, 2007

Weekends and such

So, how was your weekend?

Mine was okay. Didn't seem to accomplish a lot, but we did get a bit caught up on sleep, which we needed after the Great Nap Strike last week. (Which hopefully won't carry over to this week, knock wood.)

Friday night: TV night. A Mythology of Stargate special, leading in to the half-season premieres of Stargate: SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis. Only 9 weeks of SG-1 left before it's gone. :( Lots of rain, and snow was predicted.

Saturday: No snow, thank goodness. Just gloom and rain, and in the upper 30s. We went bargain hunting. Two preschools (actually, 1 preschool, 1 playschool) were having their big rummage sales, and the Friends of the Library had their big childrens' book sale. Since both pre/play schools were on our route to the library, we stopped off.

At the first one, we found 6 books, including a Garfield in German for my favorite (and only) sister, and a puzzle. The puzzle is probably 1,000 pieces, never been opened. But, no box. So it's going to be a challenge, since we have no clue what it looks like or how large it is when finished. :) I passed up the $1 hospital-freebie diaper bag, which I considered getting just because of the freezer pack and the insulated bottle bag. Found cheap freezer packs at Walgreens anyway. $3 total. Last year we had better luck here - a few yards of polarfleece to pack some figurines in, El Burrito's first blue rubber duckie sleeper, and saucers for plant dishes, among other things, all for $1. (We were there after 11:00, when it was $1-a-bag time)

Second sale: No books, but I did find some goodies: a set of Tupperware "Zoo It Yourself" animals from my childhood for $1 (missing one tail), 4 square cookie tins for 25c each (great kitchen storage), a tote bag for 75c (to carry the tins in as I shopped), 2 picture frames with mats and glass for 75c total, and three shirts for El Burrito - one green-stripe Baby Gap onesie for 25c, a red Pooh shirt for 50c, and a striped Baby Gap shirt for 50c. Total was $4.75 there.

Of course, all that made us later than usual for the library sale. It opened at 9, we were there at 11, I think. The stock was already showing big signs of being picked over pretty well. This is one of the most popular sales, and if you want the "good stuff" you have to get there pretty darned early. The board books were almost gone, ditto for the CDs. We did manage to find a good-sized stack of books, though, and at 25c for paperbacks and board books, 50c for hardbacks, it's hard to go wrong. I even found one book for a series I'm trying to collect, so only one book left to find. I found two others in that series that may be in better shape than the ones I have, so I'll keep one copy and re-sell the other one or donate it back to the library sale. I also got some books that I plan to read once and pass on - for 25c, I can live with reading a book once and giving it to someone else (or donating it back to the library sale).

Then we came home, fed El Burrito his lunch, and went out to lunch ourselves. After that, we came back home and attempted to take naps. This wasn't so successful. El Burrito got a good 90 minutes, DH got about an hour, and mine? About 10 minutes. It took me a bit to get to sleep, and then, seriously, about 10 minutes into my nap, El Burrito woke up hungry. And this is why I gave up on the "nap when the baby naps" idea a long time ago. Every time I've tried it, the same thing happens. He falls asleep like and it takes me a while for the brain to shut up enough to let me sleep. And then he wakes up, usually hungry, and I'm so half-asleep groggy that I can't think.

Sunday: Not a really productive day. I went back to the library sale, which was pretty wiped out by then, and came home with $11 worth of books. I found a very neat board book there, with pull-out tabs on the pages, and realized after I got home that half the front cover was missing. :( While I was out (alone!), I stopped at Walgreens for the soda they had on sale. Which of course was sold out already. They have got to start stocking more of their sale items. I did get cheap Pringles, clearanced Easter candy (chocolate-covered marshmallow eggs, yum), and two bottles of bubbles for El Burrito (and me).

And then I came home, to find El Burrito having his first mid-day nap in a week. Hooray. We lowered the crib mattress, I watched an hour of 7th Heaven that had me frustrated with the inane writing, and revived my brain with the season finale of Dresden Files. As far as progress, we boxed up some books to put in storage. I was going to re-pot my very sad looking jade plant, but I realized that all the plant pots are in storage, so that idea got delayed.

El Burrito, by the way, seems to be teething. That's our best guess for the middle-of-the-night crying spells, anyway. We gave him a teething biscuit Saturday night, which he proceeded so chew on, lick, and generally smear everywhere. It was maple-flavored, so even after un-smearing him, he still smells a bit like syrup. :) His clothes were a mess, but the biscuit was all organic, no dyes, so I'm hopeful that there won't be any stains.

Monday: So far today, I'm ahead of schedule with the laundry. Of course, I also forgot to change the sheets before I washed the load of whites, so they'll have to wait until next week. UPS delivered the xD card from Amazon today, which was a hoot. The card is about the size of a quarter, being generous, packed in about a 4x6 inch plastic shell that requires a buzz saw to open. All of that was sent UPS in a box about 6x8x3 inches, which I thought was hilarious. The thing would have fit just fine in a First Class bubble mailer, but I guess with UPS they have tracking and insurance. And the mailman delivered a big box with El Burrito's Ebay Peek-a-blocks, and a smaller envelope with my Serenity keychains.

It's nice and sunny outside, and I've been reading Dear Miss Breed, which is very interesting. Also started Changelings over the weekend, since I finished the first Petaybee trilogy, and finished Shopaholic and Baby last week so I could get it back to the library.

No comments: