Friday, April 20, 2007

Small bits of progress

Or, why does it feel like I've accomplished not-much today? I can't say "nothing" because the dishes in the dishwasher are clean, everyone's been fed at least once, even the fish, and hey, I haven't spilled anything yet. Knock wood.

I did check one of my email accounts this morning - and deleted 1000+ spam, plus some random newsletters and such. What fun.

El Burrito and I set a record time for a Walmart trip this morning. From out the door to back in, it was approximately 35 minutes. I'm stunned. We went back this morning (which is apparently their slow time) to see if they'd restocked the bibs - they hadn't - and to pick up a couple of DVD sets that I spotted yesterday. I checked my usual online sources last night (namely, Amazon and the search engine at DVDPriceSearch), and realized that I was right when I thought the Walmart prices were dirt cheap.

While I was hunting in vain yesterday for the My Friend Flicka DVD gift set (the original movies, not the lousy remake), I spotted a rack of TV-show DVDs that were $19.99 each. And right at the top were two series that I've had on my wish list at Amazon for a long, long time: the first two seasons of Forever Knight, and the second set of The Big Valley. I'd been balking at these because of price. The Forever Knight sets are typically $45 or more, and the Big Valley set runs about $27, which wouldn't be bad if the twits at FOX hadn't decided to split the second season into two "volumes" that were each priced higher than the full set of the first season. (Seriously, what are they smoking??) So $20 for new sets is a smoking deal, and cheaper than even the used sets on Amazon and Half. I broke down and got all three. I'll keep the BV set, and if Forever Knight isn't as good as I remembered it, I can sell the sets and get somewhere close to break-even on them.

My big accomplishments from last night, by the way: refilling the hand soap dispensers, and paying some bills. I finally finished reading Dear Miss Breed, which may be considered a "Young Adult" book by the library, but was still a very interesting read. It's an account of the Japanese-American detainment/internment camps (for lack of a better word) during World War II, told mostly with excerpts from letters that some of the children wrote to Miss Breed, who'd been the childrens' librarian in their neighborhood library. After that, I finished up Changelings, by Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. Now I'm waiting for the second book at the library. I love the online catalog!

Right now I'm taking advantage of naptime to dig through some old email. And I need to file some disputes online with the lovely credit reporting agencies. We got our free credit reports last month, and a few of them seem to have problems with my name. Sigh. Then El Burrito will be awake and hungry, and I need to pot the flowers I accidentally came home with yesterday, and repot the poor top-heavy tree before it tips over again.

No comments: