Friday, April 13, 2007

Did I mention that I'm mad at the Sci Fi channel?

I'm a bit upset with Sci Fi right now. I've been slightly peeved at them for a while, since they started running the wrestling shows and other obviously non-scifi stuff (like that stupid scare-people-out-of-their-wits junk with Shannon Doherty). And their in-house movies tend to be beyond cheezy, and would be perfect subjects for Mystery Science Theatre 3000 if it was still around. But the fact that they still have the Stargates, Eureka, Doctor Who, Dresden Files, plus reruns of some older shows, has kept them in my good graces. I still don't think they're as good a channel as they used to be, back when they would air re-runs of the old classics and the short-run stuff that didn't have enough episodes to make it into syndication (Roar, anyone? Probe? Brisco County, Jr? A zillion other shows I enjoyed?)

Tonight will be a slightly sad night. (The really sad night will be about ten weeks from now, when the final episode airs.) It's the half-season premiere of Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. It's the tenth season of SG-1, which makes it the longest running American sci fi show; it passed the X-Files run this season. Which is apparently why Sci Fi decided that this would be the last season. Twits. Ten more episodes of fun, and then all I'll have left is Atlantis and my DVDs. Well, and apparently two SG-1 movies that are in the works, although I don't know if they're going to be theatrical, TV-movies, or straight-to-DVD.

And I've never even been to GateCon. :(

I'll admit, SG-1 isn't the same since Richard Dean Anderson retired from appearing full-time, but it's still a good show. Better than 90% of the other junk out there, IMHO. And it's been a Friday-night routine for quite a few years now. Thanks to SciFi and USA doing a second run of everything 3 or 4 hours later, we've been able to sit down on Fridays to a good 3 or 4 hour block of fun TV most of the time - Stargate, Atlantis, Battlestar (until it moved to Sundays), Monk, Psych, and JAG (until it ended). After SG-1 ends, Friday nights won't be as fun as they were.

I just found out a third Stargate series is in the works (fourth, if you count the short-lived animated series), and one of my favorite characters is leaving Atlantis, apparently permanently. :( I try to avoid spoilers, but that one was unmissable. I may have to sulk for a while. I'm still peeved that Jacob Carter was killed off a few seasons ago, and if they knock off Bra'tac, I'll have to send grumpy letters to someone.

No comments: