Monday, April 7, 2008

Weekend progress

I actually made some progress over the weekend. I'm still in shock, because that doesn't happen as often as I'd like.

Saturday: We went out for lunch, took a walk through Shelter Garden, and worked on taxes. El Burrito got the last Easter-freebie "Cars" (tm) cup at Bandana's - we go there so often that the manager recognizes us, and El Burrito waves at him. Then I got to go shopping alone (I never go anywhere without El Burrito lately). I didn't buy any plants at the hardware store, unless you count the 15-cent carrot seeds, but I did stand downwind of the rose bush display for a while. Heaven, I tell you. I didn't buy any yarn at Hobby Lobby, or any 90%-off Easter candy.

And then I took my hardware store pressure gauge and aired up my woefully underinflated car tires, courtesy of the free air machine at the HyVee gas station. Yeah, the car drives much better now, and it could probably use a little more air, because I was guessing at pressure. Couldn't find the rotten sticker with the pressure info.

Sunday was also productive. The fish tank is clean, three plants were re-potted, and one of the kitchen cabinets got rearranged.

Whoever thought particle-board cabinets were a good idea should be whapped, if you ask me. Plywood would be better. We've had problems with the shelves, because the particle-board can't support the pegs that hold the shelves, and the stuff just disintegrates if it gets wet (leaky sink, anyone?). It's not fun when a shelf caves in and plates go everywhere. The peg on the plate shelf was starting to give way again, so I got some square dowel a while back, and finally got around to cutting it the right length to prop up the plate shelf. And while I was at it, I had the brainstorm to, hey, put the heavy plates on the bottom shelf, and the lightweight stuff on the iffy shelf. Go figure. And it only took three tries to get things the right length.

Plus the weather was great, and we had the doors open a lot over the weekend.

No comments: