Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tuesday adventures

It's going to be a busy week. Tomorrow we've got a condo lunch and then we're going down to see my mom in the hospital after her knee replacement. Fun.

Library day stats: 37 items out, 7 on hold. Checked out 4 books and a DVD today, returned two videos and at least 5 books, and spent $2 on books for El Burrito.

So, quickie book reviews of what we returned:
  • The Best of Bert & Ernie - I'd buy this one on DVD just for the Ernie & Bert in Egypt bit. And the "I Don't Want to Live on the Moon" song. On the other hand, 30 minutes is not enough for the best of Ernie & Bert. They forgot the Rubber Duckie bit, and Bert doing The Pigeon, for starters.
  • 8 Super Stories from Sesame Street - was actually 5 stories, since it's a 2-video set and one video is missing. So, sadly, we didn't get to see The Great Cookie Thief or Big Bird Brings Spring, but the SuperGrover stories were fun.
  • Gotcha Capitalism - interesting book, lots of useful information. Some of it doesn't apply to us - we still use dial-up internet, and our cell phones are pre-paid Tracfones, but we'll be getting satellite TV soon, and it's good to know what to watch out for.
  • The Hunt Ball
  • Hotspur
  • Don't Go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me - don't remember why I put this one one hold, actually. Go figure. I'm sure there was a reason. I think. :)
  • How do Dinosaurs Learn their Colors - This is a cute series, and I'll have to buy a few more of them. We've got one book in both English and Spanish, so I'll have to brush up on my accent.
And I figured out the problem of the dead/not-dead character in that mystery series - two people, almost the same name, father & son. Aha!

We also voted while we were out, and El Burrito's picture may be in one of the local papers tomorrow. The paper was looking for people who brought their kids to vote, or something like that. At noon, I was the first voter with a kid along, and just their luck, he's a cute kid who was wearing an "I Voted" sticker on his jacket. I just hope I didn't look too bad, since my hair's still in a willful mood. And that if they quote me at all (there was chit-chat about why I bought him, why I vote, etc.), I actually sound coherent, because I swear my brain is shrinking sometimes. Side effect of being around a toddler all day.

And speaking of the condo lunch, the TGIFridays website is crap. 90% Flash-based, takes for-freaking-ever to load, and I can't make it show me just the plain menu. Not the drinks, or appetizers, or Guy Fieri junk, I just wanna see the lunch entrees. Is it really that hard?

No comments: