Tuesday, November 13, 2007

What a trip!

Well, we're back from Georgia, finally. I may be in favor of skipping any more road trips until El Burrito is a year or so older.

That rash I mentioned yesterday? Not a rash, as such. Just a whopping reaction to the sulfa antibiotics I was taking for the Nasty Zit from H@## on my back. I've got hives everywhere (except my face). One on my arm, is in the running for Biggest Hive Ever; I should email Guinness and see if they keep records on that. It stretches from my elbow almost to my armpit. Apparently I'm the poster child for odd reactions, because I got the hives on Day #9 of a 10-day run. One painkiller made me get tiny hives, but only on my eyelids. And a few years ago, I had a run of almost singular hives - they would show up in pairs or quadruplets, and always symmetrical, on both wrists or both thighs. It was strange and we never did figure out what caused them, since I didn't see a need for the extensive allergy testing. A combination of Zyrtec, another oral med, and a lovely expensive eyedrop took care of them, and after about 18 months they went away altogether.

Anyway, it popped up yesterday morning in Georgia, I skipped the last dose, and called the doctor when we were about an hour from home. I got their last appointment for the day, and for a co-pay and who knows how much off of my deductible for the year, I got "Yep, it's a drug reaction. Take Benadryl and Claritin, and don't ever take sulfa antibiotics again." Joy. So now I'm allergic to probably the two main groups of antibiotics, with my penicillin allergy. Good thing I'm usually healthy.

And now I'm off to soak some bibs in bleach water while 1,000+ emails (probably 80% spam) download. Then it's a shower, a dose of Benadryl, and we'll see if I can wake up in the morning at all. Benadryl knocks me on my butt, or used to. I haven't touched it in 15 years, because I'm worthless when I take it and I really never could tell that it actually helped the symptoms I was taking it for. I do know that I probably shouldn't drive while I take it, or go shopping, or much of anything requiring deep thought. :) Hopefully 8 hours of sleep will take care of the worst of it.

No comments: