Thursday, November 15, 2007

My new haircut

So, as promised, the scoop on the new haircut.

The "before" picture:


(It's only that wavy because it was braided most of the day. As a rule, my hair is straight. It never held a curl in grade school, no matter how long my mother kept it in sponge-rollers for school picture day. I quit fighting it a long time ago. I've got better things to do than fight a losing battle with my hair.)


After the first cut:



I was going for 8 inches, but took the plunge for 10 so they could donate it to Locks of Love. They gave my sister a $40 discount because of that, too. Now, they cut off a few more inches after taking the big cut, which left it shorter than I'd like. But, in 4 months or so it'll be back to where I wanted it in the first place. But it happens every time - I say "take off X inches" and they end up taking off X+1 or something. Next time, I'm taking a ruler.


The final result:


However, it will NOT look like this on a regular basis. My sister took this picture after the stylist spent close to 45 minutes working with a blow dryer and a flat iron. I don't own a flat iron, and the last time I used our hair dryer was to dry El Burrito's shoes so we could go to the library. And, honestly, I refuse to spend 30 minutes a day blasting hot air at my head, even if I washed my hair every day in the first place (see the losing battle comment above - it gets washed every other day for optimum behavior. Any more than that, and it gets a mind of its own.)

I've got better things to do, and I'd hate to see the split ends I'd have. Because if you look at the hunk of hair, there were very few split ends, and I haven't had a hair cut in about a year. I used the hotel blow dryer while we were traveling and that was probably the first time in years that I didn't let my hair air-dry.


Anyway, the plan is to let part of the bangs grow out and turn them into another layer. My sister swears that they'll get trained to sweep to the side after a while, but I have my doubts. I've been braiding it non-stop for two years now, and the sides still fall forward, so I think my hair may be as stubborn as me. :) I'm still peeved that it's too short to braid at all, and makes a sorry excuse for a ponytail, because that leaves hair clips as the only other option. And after whacking the hair clip on the car door frame too many times on the ride home, I'm not liking that option a whole lot. Plus, the sides fall out of the clip and get in my face, and lately that's one of the things that really gets on my nerves.

But we'll see how it goes. I should get some comments on it when next time I see our familes. (I got 6 inches cut off one time and my dad didn't even notice. I think he'll notice this time.)

1 comment:

Jan said...

I like it!

I feel you on not thinking it'll look like that when you have to do it yourself, but since you have it, the least you can do it experiment a little bit.

You can totally braid that; you'll just have to do a french braid. Furthermore, if you french braid it wet then when it dries (even if it's a couple of days later -- mine is), it'll be curly/wavy when you take it out and if the shape is nice, it'll be pretty.

I like a wide fabric/elastic headband for keeping the mop out of my face. As an added bonus, you can put it in when your hair is wet and then when it's dry, it'll be sort of trained back and less annoying.

Experiment with different clips a little -- some hold fine hair in better than others (mine is fine and thick).

I broke down and bought myself a flat iron about a year ago and I don't use it every day (I have the same concerns about it damaging the hair -- I get mine cut 1-2 times a year), but I DO like to be able to pull it out and tame the wild masses on occasion.