Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Traveling, Burrito style, and other stuff

Apparently today is the 38th anniversary of the Apollo 12 launch. Pretty neat to know. One of the things I'd really like to do is see a Shuttle launch, live and in person. Don't know how likely that is, though, now that the Shuttle program is being phased out, and I live a good 18 hour drive away from the launch site. :( The launches aren't shown live on TV as much any more, either; I guess we've become blase about them (at least until something goes wrong, and all the gloom-n-doom folk get their air time to blow things out of proportion). I wish we had NASA TV; maybe we'll move soon and get satellite instead of our lousy overpriced cable. Or I could break down and get high-speed internet and watch NASA TV online. Hah.

Anyway, more about the Trip.

El Burrito travels pretty well, thank God. Has no problem napping in his car seat, and this was his first big trip forward-facing in the new Britax we bought. The only slight issue was his method of letting me know when he wanted another cracker to eat. His "notification" was to squeal at me, which got him compared to piglets and girls who've seen spiders. :) Other than that, he was pretty good. We stopped twice for pit stops and he got to run around in the play area at a BK and McDonalds.

The boy flirted his way across four states, too. Everywhere we stopped to eat, he'd manage to find someone to wave at, make eyes at, and otherwise flirt with. Sometimes it was a waitress, sometimes it was someone at the next table, and there were two touch-pool attendants at the Aquarium that got a lot of waves. One even got a bit of a hug while his auntie was holding him. The breakfast attendant at the hotel remembered him (kind of) the second time around, and the two old ladies at Cracker Barrel complimented him on his waving. :) He's a very social boy, our Burrito, unlike his parents. At least he doesn't run screaming from strangers, which wouldn't surprise me since we don't go out a lot. He did get mistaken for a girl more than once, though, in spite of wearing what I'd call very boyish clothes. It must be the blond curls and the wicked-long eyelashes.

It only took 20 minutes or so for the Burrito to warm up to his Auntie, who hasn't seen him since he was a week old. He also got to pet the dogs - one more than the other, bigger one - and even got to pet Cranky Cat once or twice. And discovered that if you step on the dog's tail, she yelps. Spooked them both, I think, but nothing drastic. Overall I think he had a good time. The only things we did while we were there were spend most of a day at the Aquarium and a few hours at the Ikea. He ate fairly well, especially any time we found macaroni and cheese.

I came home with over 1,000 pics, most of which probably won't turn out worth keeping. Flash was useless in the aquarium, thanks to the glare off the plexiglass, so even with the exposure compensation and wide aperture, a lot of them will be blurry. Got a cool movie of the jellyfish, though. Wish I'd thought to do movies of some of the other things, like the rays. And the touch pools were amazing - El Burrito touched a sea star, and DH & I got to touch some rays. Skipped petting the shrimp, though. I'd rather eat them. I was also told off by a non-employee for taking pics of the Leafy Sea Dragons. I didn't have my flash on, thanks very much, he needed to be talking to the woman with the cell phone camera who was next to me.

So tomorrow, I'll tell you all about the new, very drastic haircut. Let's just say that it's the first time in 20 years that I haven't been able to braid my hair at all, and it may drive me crazy before it's long enough to braid again.

1 comment:

Jan said...

I watched a shuttle landing once, when I was in school in southern California. We drove out the night before and camped out so we'd be right up next to the fence. We weren't very close, but it was still cool, even if just to be able to say I was there once.

The four hour traffic jam to get out of the parking lot, however, was NOT cool.