Thursday, July 12, 2007

Some days I wish we had high-speed Internet

There are a few times I wish we had high-speed internet, rather than the dialup that I've had for years.

  • Being able to watch the PsychOuts on YouTube, if they're still there, since they weren't included on the Psych DVDs. "PsychOuts" are outtakes from filming, but they're only shown during the credits for the first airing of the episode. Later repeats don't have them.
  • The hilarious Made in Eureka commercials - total spoofs, as "hidden" advertising for Sci Fi's Eureka series (Tuesday nights, 8:00 Central time, don't miss it).
  • Not having to wait and wait and wait to download the full-size version of Hubble's Carina Nebula panorama. The high-res version is 7.3 MB, the full-res TIFF file is almost 500 MB. I'm not even touching the full-res TIFF, but a nice higher-res version would make a nice background for the PC. The interactive version is pretty fun to play with as well.
The only thing I miss about my last two jobs is the high-speed connection. Having a T1 line was great - NetRadio introduced me to Great Big Sea, for which I am eternally grateful.

But, given the cost, and the likelihood that we'll end up moving to a house where cable or DSL isn't an option, we've been sticking with dialup. No point in getting used to a speedy connection, if we won't be in a position to continue with it. Plus, the cost is a bit much (although the cable/phone/internet packages are tempting).

No comments: