Wednesday, July 18, 2007

El Burrito is Home

El Burrito is back home from his visit to Grandma and Grandpa's house. He's actually asleep right now, which took all of two minutes after everyone left. He's a tired boy. :)

When he saw me walking up the sidewalk, after being gone since Sunday, he just stared at me like I had an extra head. Didn't seem too excited to see me again. I guess my ego will recover. Ha.

Sounds like he had a fun time, though. My folks took him up to visit my aunt (Dad's oldest sister), who hadn't seen him since last fall. She's having her first round of chemo today, so Dad wanted to go see her before she started feeling lousy. They also went to visit my grandparents, and then there were puppies and some mention of a little wading pool. I'm not sure I can compete with that kind of fun. No room here for a puppy or a pool, and not that much room for crawling around on the floor.

I ran some errands before El Burrito's arrival, so I think I have everything to get ready for the fair now. I got photos printed at Hy-Vee (the only place that does matte photos, and the only place with a photo machine that will actually read a USB key), and got frames and foam-core from Michaels. Last night I dug through my small bead stash and found a dozen beads that should work with the cross-stitch, since the originals are missing in action.

DH and I saw 3 movies while we were Burrito-less, and sadly, I think we paid full price for all of them. I also found out that the theater we usually go to is having summer daytime matinees, $1 a ticket, at 10:30 every morning. It's the same movie all week; next week is Happy Feet. I may take the Burrito and see how he does. We'll sit way in the back, where it may be quieter, and hey, if I have to leave early, it's only $1. (He's not big on lots of noise - the hymn-singing at church last Sunday upset him a bit.)

Plus, I found out that one of my favorite books, Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising, is being made into a movie. On one hand, it's being done by the same studio that did the Narnia movie. On the other hand, one of the stars (Ian McShane, from Deadwood & Lovejoy) says that they weren't very faithful to the book. Of course, he also said in that same interview that he didn't read the whole book, because it was "really dense". And I seriously hope that he was joking or something, because the density of the Dark series is nothing compared to, say, Tolkien, or maybe even Harry Potter.

No comments: