Wednesday, January 9, 2008

What's going on?

What's going on here, you may ask (if anyone's reading this, that is).

Well, El Burrito got to watch Cars the other night for the first time. And loved it, as expected. I try not to let him watch a lot of TV, but he does watch some, and was fascinated by the movie for most of two hours (he lost his focus near the end, after he ate). He's been attracted to car commercials for a while now, and loves his toy cars, including his Dirt Track Lightning McQueen and the Tip N Toot Tractor that he got for Christmas. (I personally want the Movie Moments set with Guido, Luigi, and the Tractor, although I'm hoping to find it locally at a more decent price. Kid can have the Tractor, I just like Guido and Luigi.)

He got in trouble last night with both of us, for deliberately tearing a page out of a book. He "reads" a lot of books, but this is the first time that he's torn one. In his defense, it was a used book we got at the library sale, and the page was already torn a bit, but for some reason he took a notion to tear it some more. Hopefully he won't make a habit of it.

The Burrito's vocabulary is growing by leaps and bounds. He's learned a lot of words in the past month, and it's time for us to make another list of what he can say. He can say most of the Sesame Street Muppet names, and takes a stab at "Charlie Brown" although it's pretty vague. And "Eeyore" sounds more like "eeeweeh" or something. And I'm still getting used to him saying "wa" for water, so sometimes he's saying it and I don't realize that he's wanting a drink. Yes, bad mommy. Pay attention!

He's stuck on "triangle" these days. It's his word for all shapes - circles, triangles, squares, whatever. On the other hand, he makes a distinction between cars, trucks, and tractors (although the motorcycle picture in his book got lumped in as a tractor yesterday).

Delsym's cough medicine (recommended by our pediatrician) works. However, I think it may have a little side effect. El Burrito got a small dose the past two nights, so he could sleep without coughing. Except that after his pre-bed dose both nights, he was wide awake, babbling away in his crib for a good two hours. With that kind of timing, I think the meds must be getting him a little wired up. I had the same reaction to one of the allergy meds years ago - Tavist-D, I think. Kept me awake aaaaaallll night.

El Burrito and I went to the condo lunch again today. The Little Old Ladies love him, and he always gets compliments on his good behavior. And his pretty eyes. He's a good kid, our Burrito. He's pretty good about sitting in the high chair and playing with the crayons or whatever, although his toy car got rolled off the table more than once today.

He's probably going to get a haircut one night this week. All the pretty curls are going away. :( Makes me sad, but it's time. The front hair is hanging down in his eyes and bugging him (I know how he feels), and the back hair is pretty long. Trimming just the front would put him well into Mullett Territory, and I can't have that happening. So it's just time to sit down, get out the scissors, and try not to draw blood or botch the job too badly.


I got a copy of all of Jane Austen's novels at the library yesterday for 50 cents. I'm hoping to be able to watch all of the adaptations on PBS in the next six weeks, but I'll have to remember to record them, because El Burrito always manages to need a diaper change whenever I'm watching something interesting.

I managed to resist the 30% off Yarn Sale at Michael's last week. However, 5x5 inch frames aren't as easy to find as the photo studio girl led me to believe.

I still haven't called about getting the camera fixed, or about the error in an online order I got last week. I did manage to email about one error in an order I got this week; the company is sending out the right product, and told me to keep the one I was mistakenly sent. Nice!

And that's about it for random bits and pieces today.

No comments: