Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Earflap Hat

Finished today, officially - I tied the pompom on after lunch.

Right now, the earflaps are big enough to double as cheek warmers. Which, since it's snowing here right now, is probably a good thing. We'll see how he likes wearing it.


This is the back view, after I finished the earflaps. Now, the stitch markers are in the joining row for each round. I can't figure out how, after re-doing the bottom 10 rows or so (of 17 rows total), making sure I had the right number of stitches, but the earflaps got off-center somehow. I had to move them back a bit - 3 stitches each - but they still should have been equal distances from the joining row.


The pattern is from the 2008 Crochet Pattern-a-Day calendar, designed by Kimberly Pressley. I left out the second round of alternating front- and back-post DC, to make the hat short enough, and I ended up with about 60 loops instead of 40 for the pompom (which still looks skimpy). I used Bernat's Softee Chunkee Twist in denim ragg, and now I've got another whole skein of it with no intended use. Silly me, trusting the label when it quoted 2 balls for a hat.

1 comment:

maruschka said...

Hi Christi - I love this hat! We've got a fun new site where we are collecting photos of hats with earflaps... drop by and let me know if we can include your awesome hat. It's Sylacauga Phlaphappies.