Friday, August 8, 2008

What a day

So, what did I do on my Burrito-free day, you ask?

Yeah, well, not much of any account, sadly. Those errands that I wanted to do, didn't get done.

Called the doctors' office first thing, and got an appointment with one of the docs there, for this afternoon. The sore throat woke me up about 3 a.m. and it's not getting any better. Went to a flea market, hoping for more farm toys. No luck on that, but I did buy a Sesame Street book and some 3-hole-punch binder pages that I need for a few things (2 pockets per page; hard to find, at least in the places I looked.) Called to check on El Burrito, who woke up at 6:30 this morning and was taking his nap about two hours earlier than usual.

The doc says I don't have strep, just some virus, with sores on the back of my throat. He gave me a 'scrip for a gargle mix: lidocaine, benadryl, and mylanta. Which is how I found out that our regular pharmacy doesn't do compounding, so I ended up at Walgreens. Where I'll never buy drugs again, or at least any time soon.

"Just 20-25 minutes" they said. Ha! 10 minutes later, they page me - our insurance doesn't cover the mix, do I still want to pay $30+ for it? Sure, why not, I say. They'll page me when I'm done. I spend the next 45 minutes wandering the store, mostly playing with the Hallmark sound-chip cards. (There's a hilarious one with the Chicken Dance, plus one with Indiana Jones that I'm getting for myself.) Then I sat in their tiny waiting area for 15 minutes, before asking if my drugs were ready. Yep, they were in the fridge. So much for being paged. Twits.

The "magic wash" doesn't taste hideous, but I'm not sure if it works. Sure, my lips and tongue were tingly-numb for ten minutes after the first dose, but the throat part didn't seem any different. I'm wondering what the Benadryl is for, anyway. Maybe I should have skipped the $30 combo and got a $5 bottle of Chloraseptic.

I did manage to Freecycle some unused sports bras and check out a flea market, a thrift store, and Tuesday Morning. Oh, and gas up my car. Weird car - the low fuel light was on, but it only took 10 gallons to fill up the 13-gallon tank. Must be that slope I parked on.

Off to find the coupons so we can go shopping tomorrow.

No comments: