Monday, August 11, 2008

Gargle-challenged

Yep, that's right. According to DH, I'm gargle-challenged. Sort of; I do fine with salt water. But that lovely $30 + an hour of waiting "Magic Wash" that I got for the Sore Throat from H#**? Not so much. I managed to choke myself with it on Saturday, badly enough that I'm surprised it didn't shoot out my nose. On top of that, I can't seem to get the stuff back far enough to do any good. Not surprising, since both my dentists will tell you I have an over-active gag reflex, but still disappointing. My lips go numb, my tongue goes tingly, but the throat never got any relief.

At any rate, the worst of the sore throat is gone now (but replaced by a runny nose and nasty cough). It disappeared between midnight and 2 a.m. last night, to be more specific, while we were clearing up the aftermath of El Burrito's weekend at Grandma's. He has a great time, and I'm glad that my parents are better grandparents than their parents were to me, but geez, my mom could tell the boy "No" now and then. She worries all the time that he's not eating enough, since we told her he's on the bottom half of the height/weight charts, but then she went and fed him a big bowl of ice cream right before dinner yesterday. And wondered why he wasn't hungry for dinner.

Dad asked (when Mom wasn't around) how long it took to get him back to normal after a visit. No dummy, my Dad.

It takes about a day and a half, by the way. So far we're doing good, though, and he hasn't been horribly cranky. He was really tired last night, but we listened to Sesame Street CDs on the way home and he sang instead of sleeping. That was my devious plan, to keep him awake until we got home. Otherwise he naps in the car, and is wound for sound when we're ready for bed. He practically fell asleep while he was getting his jammies on, and conked out after less than five minutes in his crib.

Space News: Hubble's made 100,000 orbits of Earth so far.

Now I'm off to check the Olympics TV schedule and see when the equestrian coverage is on. A Tivo-like device would be so handy right now.

No comments: