Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A change of plans, and more

We had a little hiccup in our plans today. We intended to go to the $1 kiddie movie at the local theater today - it's Horton Hears a Who this week, and El Burrito is currently crazy about his plush Target-clearance Horton (even though he doesn't know it's Horton). We actually made it to the theater in time, fully equipped with snacks, drinks, and "Onnifaant" aka Horton (that's as close as I can get to the way he says "elephant" these days. I knew we were in trouble when the parking lot was full, and I was right - sold out. So much for Plan A, but at least we didn't wait until Friday to go.

So we bought tickets for tomorrow's showing, and went over to Shelter Gardens for a walk, since we were already out. They've started working on "renovating" the rose garden; they took out all the roses there recently. The roses were looking pretty crappy this year, the weather was hard on them last year, I don't think the switch over to organic did them any favors, and I really think they got a fungus or something. That's the only reason I can think of to tear out all the plants and start over.

Anyway. DH met us for a short walk on his break, and I ended up spending over an hour there with El Burrito. We walked through the little schoolhouse (his choice) and spent 20 minutes walking up and down a wooden ramp at the gazebo. Saw the fish, the flowers, and two squirrels. El Burrito probably would have stayed longer, but it was lunch time and I was hungry even if he wasn't.

Now, for the El Burrito stories. Have to write them down here or I'll forget them.

He's been on a roll lately. He got his first bloody lip at the Garden on Saturday; no real damage to teeth or anything, just a bit of blood and a few minutes of crying. He didn't cry a whole lot, he's got a high pain threshold so far, and it's already mostly healed up. He wanted to go to the Garden, and started talking about it when we drove by, so we turned around and went for a walk. He wanted to go see squirrels and chase Mommy on the grass. So, we saw squirrels and ran around.

He's drinking more milk now. We've been using a gallon a week, between my Cheerios and his drinking, but I think that's about to change. We bought a gallon on Saturday and it's got about one sippy-cup full left, so we'll have to pick some up tonight. We're going to be a bit stuck, because we don't have room in the fridge for 2 gallons of milk and the Brita pitcher, and I don't think we can rearrange the shelves to make room.

He got very upset last night, for the strangest reason. He was finishing his dinner and chattering about a hair cut, for some reason. Said he looked "scruffy" and wanted a hair cut. I told him he didn't need one, and you'd think I told him no more Charlie Brown videos ever. Squinched up face and big sobbing, then I think he asked for a hug. (He asks for a hug sometimes, if he gets upset or something.)

Also, still on the singing jag. I've been trying to get it on video, because it's just so darn cute sometimes. He sang to his grandmothers on the phone this week, and likes to walk around singing Happy Birthday. He 's getting tricky though - he changed the words of our "stinky diaper song" yesterday so that I was the one with the stinky diaper. Sense of humor, my kid.

And he was entertaining the whole family at Grandma's last week. I was talking to one of my cousins outside and El Burrito was running amok in the yard. I got a blade of grass and was using it for a whistle, and El Burrito started trying to make the same sound as he was running around. He also does the same thing with his talking Lightning McQueen, but he's not as good at mimicking the screeching tires.

He's putting together longer sentences, and more understandable ones, but there are still some words that we just don't get. Like "scrum". Don't know where that came from. I tell him occasionally that he needs subtitles. Or a babelfish.

He's starting to walk down stairs if someone holds his hand, although he makes this weird hum/grunt with every step. That might be from spending time with his bad-kneed Grandma.

And that's about it for Burrito stories today.

No comments: