Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Riding Lesson #1

Just a quick post about the first riding lesson. I'm tired!

I got to ride a nice liver chestnut QH gelding, 13 years old, named Payton (Mr. First Impression). Two medium socks in back, one low sock in front, a star and a straggly blaze. And puffy ankles behind because he'd been inside all day. I'm not sure when he was donated, but a Google search found a classified ad for him dated 2004.

He's got a killer Western Pleasure jog when I can get him to do it (he likes to speed up and test the limits). He likes to test his rider a bit, but that's okay. He's a nice guy, not too tall, and he seems pretty easy-going. He was listed at 16 hands, for $10,000. Apparently he's done Western & English Pleasure along with some hunter & halter, and had a ROM in hunter-under-saddle classes.

I'm not used to the WP jog; I actually worked on both my horses to get them to jog/trot at a decent pace. So I'm having to make sure I don't try to nudge him faster - with my horses, when they started trotting that slow, they were usually getting ready to shift to a walk, and usually grab for a bite of grass.

No comments: