Thursday, June 5, 2008

Odds and Ends

Seems like I've been too busy lately to write something coherent here. Brain-freeze, maybe.

So, what's been happening?

I sent my registration today for the summer riding program. I'd thought about taking the one-week, 2 hours of riding per night "camp" next week, but that's the week that my parents are coming to visit and we're going to the Red Power Roundup (International Harvester tractor exhibition/convention). So I'm doing the 2-week, six hours total session the week after that instead. And of course, have to miss the big end-of-session demonstration ride again, thanks to DH's family reunion the same day. The reunion is a four-hour drive, so I can't even go to the demo and then the reunion. Blah.

On the other hand, if the weather next month isn't obscenely hot and humid (hey, I can hope!), maybe I'll sign up for the second one-week camp.


El Burrito had his 2nd birthday and his 2-year pediatrician visit just the other day. He ended up with two birthday cakes again, since we're still not in a house of our own. He got a decent but not insane number of gifts - mostly with wheels - and had a lot of fun. His ped. is complimentary about his vocabulary and intelligibility, and he's moved up to the 45th %-ile in height and weight (although my mother still twitters at me about feeding him more, in spite of the fact that the kid eats all he wants, if not what he always wants). She'd be happy with him using 50-75 words, and he's easily using twice that. He can say more, but doesn't comprehend them - he'll repeat anything you tell him too. His new nickname is Paul E Wannacracker sometimes. :)

The boy's pretty sharp. His Megabloks piano has been iffy on the battery front for a week or two now, and last night it was sputtering out after two or three notes. Whereupon he walks over to me and tells me something. I had to get him to repeat it before I caught it all - the gist of it was "piano needs batteries," I know "batteries" was in there, but the first part was a bit garbled.

He did have a good birthday, spread out over most of a week. We went to my parents' for part of Memorial weekend. El Burrito stayed with them while DH and I saw the Indiana Jones movie, and he got to go to the cemetery with them for the afternoon. (It's surrounded by family land, Mom's in charge of the Perpetual Care fund, and they take turns sitting over there for Decoration Day since lots of people come to visit the graves and make donations to the fund.) El Burrito was chatting up lots of people and putting a lot of miles on his shoes. At one point, he was walking around under the oak trees and pointing up into the branches while saying something that no one quite heard. He also got to run around, ride in the trucks, and play with Grandma.

In other news: One more fish fatality, although not Squiggy the Immortal Pleco. Still no microwave, still working on cleaning up enough to maneuver a stove through the living room. And it's starting to get hot here - highs finally hitting 90, and the ever-awful humidity. Yech. And once again, I was blatantly snubbed from the in-laws' yard sale.

No comments: