Monday, June 30, 2008

Recent peeves

Or, why I was in a crummy mood on Friday:
  • Waking up Wednesday with a canker sore. On the side of my tongue, right where it hit a molar every third second, making it the Worst Location Ever for a canker sore.
  • Finding serious problems with two of the three bedsheet sets I got from JCPenney. As in, an 8-inch section of hem that's coming un-hemmed. So glad I didn't pay "retail" ($140) for them. I checked the third set this weekend, and aside from the corner stitching being a little rough (would not have passed muster with my Home Ec teacher!), they look okay.
  • Paying $8 for shipping on a CD order that was sent USPS First Class in a padded mailer. Max cost $3. (I thought it was coming from Canada, which would have explained part of the cost.) I prefer ordering direct from the artist, since presumably they'll keep more of the profit than if they had to split it with Amazon or something. I don't expect free shipping from individuals, but I'd like to not be robbed, either.
  • Accidentally (sort-of) placing two orders with the above-mentioned artist's store, because I never got a confirmation email for either order. And their customer service took 4 days to reply to my email (by which time order #1 had arrived).
  • Chase.com's insane password strictness. I miss the password once, and have to go through this whole rigamarole with an emailed code. And then find a new password that isn't one of the last 5 I used.
  • The installation department at Lowes, which I ranted about previously. We got a voicemail about the dishwasher being available, but nothing about scheduling the install for any of it. I put the stove guys off until Tuesday, and got the microwave/dishwasher installed on Friday. Which meant staying up until 2 am shoving everything into the bedroom, because I prefer not to look like a slob, and DH wants things to be almost bare before contractors of any kind show up. Like the kid installing the microwave really cares about dust bunnies on top of the washing machine.
  • The state Department of Revenue. Aside from printing new license plates with errors and refusing to correct it, they've started charging an additional $2.78 if you renew your license in the last two weeks of the month that it's due. No explanation why, they just put it in smallish print in the middle of some other blather. Twits.
  • Re: the error: The plates say "Show Me State" when they should say "Show-Me State." Note the hyphen. The DOR claims it's the way "we" voted in the online vote, but I think the prototype in the voting had the words vertically, so the hyphen was left out. It's gotten a lot of press, and it's probably making us residents look like a bunch of illiterate hillbillies. Apparently it's a violation of some state statute, too, but the DOR doesn't seem to care. Honestly, we didn't need new plates anyway. When I was younger (not that long ago), we went decades between license plate designs. I think this new design is either a money-maker for the state, or connected to the upcoming elections. Either way? I'm not impressed.
I think that's about it.

No comments: