Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Tuesday again

My allergies are acting up again, so I'm basically writing this one with one eye open. Gotta call the optometrist tomorrow and see if I can get in for an appointment. If it is allergies and not something else, I'm prepared to beg for more of those eyedrops I got a few years ago. I'm not proud. :) Those things were pricey, but they worked. You know it's going to be expensive when the doctor gives you a prescription and a form for a $25 rebate. It was worth the hassle of waiting 15 minutes between the eyedrops and putting my contacts in.

Anyway, on to the book post.

Library stats for the day: 35 items checked out, 4 on hold. Returned 3, checked out 4. And we spent $18.50 at the book sale, more than usual because it was a First Tuesday sale and I came home with some coffee-table type books with Western art (Frederic Russell, Charles Remington, etc.)

I returned:
  • Deluge (Anne McCaffrey and Elizabeth Ann Scarborough) - The last book in the Petaybee Twins trilogy (which is a sequal to the Petaybee trilogy). This one is more of a young adult novel, so the main characters (hero & heroine) are teenagers, with special powers. I enjoy most of Anne McCaffrey's work, but the young-adult books - at least the Acorna and Petaybee Twins books - aren't really my thing. So, I get them from the library instead of buying them. On the other hand, the Pern books are automatic buys for me, even the younger-skewed Harper Hall books. However, the more recent books seem to be s horter, and I'm starting to reconsider my habit of buying them in hardcover. (And there are few books that I buy in hardback automatically - the Pern books, Mercedes Lackey's Valdemar series, and Susan Wittig Albert's China Bayles series are about it. I've been buying Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy series as they come out, but after the last one I'm waffling. )
  • Getting Started with Seed Beads by Wedekind - Because I really don't need another hobby, but I've done a bit with seed beads, and have some odds and ends laying around. Someday I need to finish using them, and the round peyote beading looks interesting.
  • And I read Time Bandit: Two Brothers, The Bering Sea, and one of the World's Deadliest Jobs - written by the Hillstrand brothers and someone named Malcolm MacPherson. I admit it, I'm a faithful watcher of Dirty Jobs and Deadliest Catch. And if I had a fast connection, I would be tracking down those Youtube videos of Mike Rowe's QVC jobs, because they sound hilarious. Anyway. This was an interesting book, although more about the Hillstrands' childhood and less about the crab fishing, and Johnathan got more time than Andy did. It was interesting, though, and a fairly quick read. My only complaint is that the writing seemed a bit formal, somehow. Even in the dialogue, there were practically no contractions - I've for I have, or I'll for I will. It seemed a little stiff, and not the way the Hillstrands have talked on the show. Other than that, it was worth the time (although I'm glad I got it from the library instead of buying it).

No comments: