Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Decisions, Decisions

Why do people have to complicate things? Yes, George Lucas, I'm looking at you. And Spielberg, because the edits to E.T. were just silly.

Five years ago, I bought the 4-disc Indiana Jones DVD box set, because I only had VHS copies and they don't hold up well over time. It had all three movies, plus a bonus disc. Now I've seen an ad on TV for a new DVD box set, a "special edition" this time. Apparently, the movies are the same, but the bonus features are different. Oh, and the new set is apparently subtitled in 8 languages (Arabic, English, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Nepali, Spanish) instead of the usual 3 (English, French, Spanish), and appears to be an all-regions DVD instead of just Region 1.

Either way, I think I'll wait for a used copy of this one to turn up cheap. If the movies are the same (thank goodness - Lucas is too enamored of the ability to re-edit), then I'm not paying extra for new extras. I'll admit, I bought 2 of the Star Wars movies on DVD when Amazon had the original versions on sale, but that's it. The "improved" versions don't do anything for me. I prefer the "real" ones. Of course, I think the last three SW movies were bordering on crap. They spent too much money on special effects, and apparently ignored the script. Yes, the effects were cool - the droids in battle were fun to watch - but they felt dumbed down.

I'll admit, I've got both versions of the Lord of the Rings movies, but with those, there were differences in the movies. I bought the extended versions first, and then picked up the theatrical releases when they were on sale later. I can justify that, but paying twice for the same movie isn't going to happen. Plus, I'm enough of a LOTR junkie that I went for the ultra-spiffy box sets, with the bonus disc and the Sideshow Weta figurines.

In short, I guess not much of a decision, now that I've read up on the specs of the new Indy set, but it's still irritating.

No comments: