Friday, May 16, 2008

El Burrito's lunch date

El Burrito had a lunch "date" this week, because it was time for the monthly condo birthday lunch (aka Little Old Lady Lunch - I'm the youngest by about 30 years).

He heard me mention the lunch over the weekend, and kept talking about it all week. He mentioned macaroni and "drink of water" every time, and added applesauce to the list on Tuesday. I'm not sure if he remembered that he had macaroni & cheese at the last lunch, or if he was telling me that he wanted mac n cheese at this one. Either way, he was definite about it.

I almost caused a bit of a problem that morning. I asked El Burrito if Cookie Monster (his plush one) was coming with us, since Cookie's been quite the traveler lately. Then, of course, I forgot to make sure that Cookie actually made it out the door with us. What can I say, I was distracted by the child who kept handing me more cars to put in "my pocket" on the way out the door. We ended up with 5 cars, a truck, and a trailer, but no Cookie. So, naturally, El Burrito starts asking for Cookie when we're halfway to the restaurant. Ooops. Luckily, he didn't get too upset that Cookie stayed home. He'd pretty much forgotten it by the time we got to the restaurant.

(I'm hoping that this is his "normal" - he totes Cookie around a lot, but he doesn't throw a screaming hissy if Cookie isn't right there. Knock wood. He's got cousins who go into a panic if their blankie is in the next room. But when we start weaning him off the binky even more - binky is crib-only already - I can see him getting even more attached to something. Which is why we got an extra Cookie. He hasn't latched on to any one thing yet - it was Eeyore for a while, then Jingle Pony, now Cookie and Lightning-car.)

Anyway. Guess which restaurant doesn't have macaroni & cheese on their kids menu? Yeah, the one we were at. No applesauce, either. So he had baked beans and a grilled cheese for lunch. ($4.95, plus tax. Yeesh. It supposedly comes with ice cream, but the waiter didn't mention it, not that El B. needed dessert anyway.) The restaurant also has smiley-fries in the kids meals; they're pretty good, but El B doesn't seem to care for them yet.

He also charmed the lunch ladies again, although he doesn't speak up enough for most of them to hear what he says. But he always gets compliments on his behavior.

No comments: