Wednesday, October 17, 2007

When we move

When we get a house (whenever that is), I hereby vow and swear that:

  • Those hanging lamps I got from JCPenney 7 years ago will be used again. (They were in the bedroom for a while, but we took them down when we started househunting. Mostly because we didn't want any confusion about what conveyed with the condo and what went with us. That was about 4 years ago.)
  • The nice comforter set - also from JCPenney 7 years ago - will come out of the bag and be used. Probably only in the winter, since it's flannel and DH can't sleep if he's too hot, but it will be used.
  • I'm going to start using the dishes I got back when I worked at Oneida, 10 or so years ago. I got a killer deal on 12 place settings of a pattern we were closing out. I've also got 3 sets of flatware courtesy of Oneida - one that I'm using now, one that I love but don't have all the pieces of (just 12 place settings), and one that I love and have almost the whole nine yards of. I don't have the grapefruit spoons and steak knives, but I've got the rest. And the best part was that most of it was second-quality and I paid 10 cents per piece for it. I had to get first-quality pieces to fill out the big set, but with the employee discount, I still got 12 place settings dirt cheap.
  • We're getting a chest-type freezer after we move, and I plan to start freezing a few meals ahead.
  • We're going to have a table. No more eating dinner on the couch, which is our only choice now. Had to get rid of the table to make room for the crib last year.
  • There will be bookshelves. Lots of them. And all the books will be unpacked, and there will be a massive round of listing on Half.com and Amazon Marketplace. Because I know there are duplicates, thanks to the library's 50-cent paperback sales, my lousy memory, and the fact that I can't tote along the PC with the massive book-inventory spreadsheet when I go to the sales. We have at least three full sets of the James Herriot books (hardback and paperback), plus my original, read-until-the-covers-fell-off copies.
  • All of our Nene Thomas prints will (eventually) be framed and hung. That may take a while, because they're mostly odd sizes and I don't think I could handle seeing the total for framing all of them at once.
  • Somehow, we're going to have a decent pantry, and we'll be able to see what we've got. "Out of sight, out of mind" is a dangerous thing at times. Also, things will be grouped. No more of this one bottle of ketchup in this cabinet, and one over the fridge. Birds of a feather will be flocking together, or else!
  • I may insist on a real desk (not the table we're using now) with drawers and such. That way, the "office supplies" could all hang out together. And I could be astounded at how many partially-used rolls of Scotch tape we really have.
I'm already working on other things along the same lines. We rounded up all the samples of lotion, shampoo, etc. that have spawned here over the years and are working through those. And when I ran out of my usual body wash last month, instead of buying another bottle, I started in on the stash of Bath & Body Works freesia products that I stocked up on when they discontinued that scent (about five years ago - and they re-introduced it last year). Everything mail-related (stamps, envelopes) is on a little wire cart with the "stuff to be filed" pile. Okay, not the stamps - they're stuck to the filing cabinet with a magnet, about 18 inches away from where I pay the bills. Hard to lose.

On the other hand, that New Leaf died a quick death. New Leaf 2 will have to start soon. Okay, part of New Leaf 1 is still going - El Burrito sleeps through the night in his crib 90% of the time now. But the walking and dental hygiene has backslid horribly.

No comments: