Saturday, October 13, 2007

Well, that was fast.

a.k.a. Rotten News, part two.

My uncle passed away late Friday night, less than two weeks after getting a 2-3 month outlook. I don't know what kind of cancer he had, but it must have been some nasty aggressive sort. He was on medication to help control the brain swelling (not totally successful), and they decided to stop that on Friday. They didn't give him the 9 p.m. medication, and he was gone before midnight. He never really woke up after the surgery last week, from what I've heard.

Mom called last (Friday) night with the times for my aunt's funeral today and an update on uncle. He never really woke up after the surgery last week, was on a ventilator, and hadn't been responsive for a few days. After hearing how things were, I wasn't that surprised when the phone rang this morning. At least it was relatively quick at the end, which (I think, anyway) is preferable to a long lingering coma or something similar. It sounds kind of callous when you say it out loud, though. (Personally, I want to go in my sleep, at the ripe old age of 98 or so, and still possessing a fairly sound mind and body, thanks very much. Not the way my parents' next-door neighbors are headed, for instance. More ranting on that later this week).

Visitation is tomorrow night, funeral Monday (with rain in the forecast, to top it all off). I didn't think they'd be able to schedule things that quickly, but apparently the funeral home isn't booked, so there it is. El Burrito is having a sleepover with DH's parents instead of going with us. I think he's still a bit young to deal with the whole funeral thing, and he can do without a rainy funeral on a 60-degree day right now. Gramma is disappointed at not seeing him, but she'll get over it.

Coming up later - pictures of the cutest Cookie Monster costume, and the headache of getting a baby gate to fit our stairway (do not get me started again on the lousy layout of this place. Really. We apparently need a 5 foot 8 inch baby gate. The only one we found so far that might be that wide was $100. I can get either Grandpa to make one cheaper than that, thanks.)

And now I'm off to pack.

No comments: