Tuesday, October 16, 2007

It feels like Monday

Today feels like Monday, even though we made our regular Tuesday library trip today.
I blame it on the fact that we weren't home yesterday, and that I'm doing laundry today. It'll throw me off the whole week.

The funeral-related stuff went okay. There was a big crowd at the funeral - standing room only - which is a nice thing. My aunt is doing okay so far, in spite of having 14 people (3 preschool age) and 4 (indoor only) dogs staying with her over the weekend. My dad had to go over and help settle a few arguments, I think, when the funeral arrangements were being discussed. Too many chiefs, not enough indians - some of Aunt's kids/grandkids are known to be a bit bossy, and that's being polite. :)

Everything happened so fast that I doubt she's had time for it all to really sink in. It'll probably all hit her in a day or two, when everyone's gone home and she's alone in the house. She does have family nearby - my parents are just down the road and one daughter lives a few miles away - but it's still going to be a major adjustment. Their 50th wedding anniversary is next month, too.

And right now my Dad's cousin is staying with my parents, and will probably spend a few days with Aunt after that. I feel a lot of sympathy for all of them, because the woman talks constantly and is also a bit bossy. (Actually, she has an opinion on everything, including planting trees in cemeteries, and her opinion is always the right one.) 24 hours with her made me tired and a little testy. She's been staying with Mom & Dad for about three days now. Dad may go in to work just to get some peace and quiet.

No comments: