Tuesday, August 28, 2007

What we've been up to

Or, pictures I've taken. :)


There was a hot air balloon competition in town last weekend. It got rained out on two of the four days (high wind, lightning), but we got to go see the ballumination, where they light the balloons up after dark.


I managed to get a shot of three balloons lit up simultaneously (they used the propane flame for the light, so it wasn't a continuous thing). It's a little over-exposed, but it looks pretty good.

And this morning, I crawled out of bed at 3:30 a.m. to watch the lunar eclipse. I got really lucky - the whole thing was visible from our tiny deck, so I spent two hours outside. And took a few hundred pictures, some of which turned out okay. I missed the end of the eclipse, thanks to the flowering whatsit tree across the street, but the last part of the eclipse here got lost in the dawn anyway.



3:50 a.m. - the first bite gone out of the moon


4:45 a.m. or so - the last sliver of moon still lit up


5:15-ish a.m - the moon is totally covered. Most of the full-dark pictures are a little blurry. Not sure if it was the longer exposure or if I'm still having problems with the auto focus. But at least I figured out why I couldn't get the sequential shooting enabled, before I emailed the company and found out that "noise reduction" and "digital image stabilization" aren't the same thing. I'm glad I checked the manual again.

It was pretty neat, and the weather was nice as well. Makes up for missing the Perseids earlier this month.

No comments: