Monday, August 6, 2007

Email, computers, and rotten moods

Fair warning to anyone (hah!) who might want to visit: I'm in a lousy mood today. And for a few reasons, all of which are illogical. But there you go.

My email is finally working as it should. Who would think that switching email programs would take three freaking days?!?!? I installed Thunderbird Thursday afternoon, and finally was able to download and read my incoming email late Saturday night/early Sunday morning. And that involved both DH (the computer guru) and myself staying up until 5:00 blinking a.m. on Saturday morning (aka Friday night). On more than one occasion (two that I remember specifically) I was ready to chuck the whole thing out a window somewhere.

After 2 six-hour attempts to download the whole 9-year collection of email from Eudora, DH had the brilliant idea to import it in batches. Thunderbird doesn't offer that as an option, but renaming a few files here and there and moving them to the other hard drive made it work. We also used a handy little utility that saved all the read-status information during the import, and discovered that a blank space at the beginning of a folder name confused Thunderbird into skipping that folder during the import.

Also, Olympus is strange. Their confirmation email to me when I bought the camera said "email us if you need help." So I did. Their reply was to call their toll-free number. Now, why couldn't they skip the whole "email us" bit and go straight to the phone call? Anyway, the final verdict is what I expected - the camera has to go back for repair. Estimated 7-10 days for repair, plus travel time each way.

Joy.

No comments: