Thursday, February 22, 2007

The Yarn Stash

I realize I'm not as bad as some people. I mean, my stash fits into two medium-sized Amazon boxes at the moment. :) But, here's the list anyway:

  • Caron Jewel Box - 4 skeins in Moonstone
  • Caron Jewel Box - 5 skeins in Tourmaline
  • Caron Jewel Box - 4 skeins in Jade
  • Caron Jewel Box - 1 skein in Deep Jasper











This is the Jewel Box, all from the clearance aisle at Michael's. It's a "fashion yarn" with two thick strands and one thin strand twisted together. I'm planning to make hat & scarf sets with this. The Tourmaline on the right will be my set, and I may give away the other two if I can find someone who wants them. Or not. It's so pretty, I may keep it and make something else out of it. It's all boxed up, so I got a skein of Deep Jasper to practice with. I like the way the colors mix, and it's not that hard to work with. Unlike the Disco fur yarn.

  • Caron Simply Soft Brites - 2 Berry Blue
  • Caron Simply Soft Brites - 1 Iris
  • Caron Simply Soft Brites - 1 Grape

This is the Caron Simply Soft, which lives up to its name. I'm planning to make two hats from this. One skein of the Berry Blue will hopefully be an Eeyore hat for El Burrito, the other three will be a striped winter stocking hat for me. I found some cute Eeyore hats (with ears!) for babies, but alas, none large enough to fit El Burrito's upper-percentile noggin. So, now that I can make a standard hat, I just have to work out crocheting the ears. I found a pattern at the library for a bunny hat, so I'm thinking that's a good place to start.


  • Patons Canadiana - 7 Purple
  • Patons Canadiana - 1 Bright royal
  • Patons Canadiana - 1 Really Green
  • Patons Canadiana - 1 Misty Mountain

This is most of the Patons yarn. The purple is grapey purple, and came from Ebay. It's going to be an afghan, as soon as I find some more Canadiana to mix with it and decide on a pattern. Finding complimentary colors could be a trick, since no on in this whole stinking state carries it, and color matching on websites can be a crapshoot. The Misty Mountain is evidence of that - it looked all green and purple on the website, but in reality is darker blues and greens. Still beautiful, but not that close to the website color swatch.

  • Lion Suede - 1 Ecru
  • Lion Suede - 2 Mocha
  • Lion Suede - 1 Coffee
  • Lion Suede - 1 Desert (variegated tans)
The mocha and coffee will be made into a crocheted stick horse for El Burrito. I found the pattern on Lion's website, and changed the colors to be more realistic. The ecru was in Walmart's clearance bin, and the Desert was the first skein I bought, to try working with it. I've swatched a square of Ecru, and it seems to hold up okay in the wash so far. Suede is different to work with, though. It's Very hard to rip out stitches, and it sort of squeaks sometimes when I crochet with it. But it feels so velvety that I can't resist it. The Desert may become a skinny scarf, or maybe a headband/earwarmer.

  • Caron? - 1 skein grey, 1 maroon
  • Paton's Brilliant - 2 each of Green Glitter and Sparkling Rose
  • Lion Wool - 1 skein Winter White
  • Bernat Disco - 1 skein Mr. Brown
Bargain bin yarn. If it's sparkly and on sale, I often don't have the willpower to resist. Plus, the Disco was a freebie from Bernat's website. The Lion Wool is my first wool yarn, bought as a test to see if I find it too scratchy or happen to have a reaction to it. The Caron is two skeins that I bought when I started crocheting again; the colors are ugly, but it was cheap and it's okay to practice on. At left is the Brilliant.


  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - 2 skeins white
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - 1 black
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - 1 Beach Ball Blue (variegated)
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - partial Jute
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - partial Dark Brown
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - 1 Denim (variegated)
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - 1 Swimming Pool
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - 1 Country Sage
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - 1 Landscape
  • Lily's Sugar & Cream - 1 rosewood


Some of the Sugar & Cream cotton yarn. One skein of white will be a sailor hat for El Burrito, the black and white will be a cow costume for next Halloween (theoretically). The Beach Ball was partially used for a catnip mouse, and the Rosewood and Swimming Pool will be made into gifts for my sister, probably a bathmitt or something from the patterns on Lily's and Lion's website. The Jute and Brown are leftovers from the Awesome Acorn hat, and the rest will be used for random things around here - balls, dishcloths, whatever.



  • Red Heart Super Saver - partial skein of Pumpkin
  • Red Heart Super Saver - partial skein of Ocean (variegated blues)
  • Caron Perfect Match - 1 skein Orange
  • Caron Perfect Match - partial skein of Bright White
  • Lion Microspun - partial skein Black
  • Lion Microspun - 1 full, 1 partial in Lilac

Leftovers from other projects. Most is from El Burrito's hats, and the Microspun is from a skinny scarf I made my sister. The remnants of the Microspun will be turned into juggling cubes or balls for El Burrito, and I may make balls of the other yarn. I have a dream of making crocheted snowballs or something. I love the feel of the Microspun, it's very soft. The black was a pain to work with, especially with the crappy lighting in our condo. I'm tempted to buy more and make something but I don't know what, and it's too pricey to buy without a plan for it.

No comments: