Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Acorn hats and yarn

Oooo, two posts in one day. Credit El Burrrrito for that, he took a two-hour-plus nap at lunchtime.

The acorn hat is finished. This might be the first version of the puff stitch, I'm not sure. I did two rounds of puff, thought they were too big, ripped them out, and did them again. They turned out longer than I thought anyway, so I probably could have left out a round or two of the light brown. El Burrito's head is large as far as circumference, but apparently not length-wise. This picture is before I turned the hat inside-out to hide the yarn-tail at the top.





Here it is, modeled by El Burrito himself. He got compliments on it the past two weekends, when we've visited various family members. He does look cute in it. Unfortunately, it's not much for keeping his head really warm, and the puffs make good handles when he tries to pull it off his head. For cold days, he'll be wearing the candy corn hat or the blue variegated hat (Red Heart yarn - love the colors, but the yarn's not as soft as I'd like).














More yarn arrived in the mail yesterday, too. I won 7 skeins (3.5 oz, approximately 200 yards) of Patons Canadiana in purple on Ebay. It's older yarn, and doesn't have the color name on the band, just "Color #25" which apparently isn't in production, or has changed numbers along the way. The Really Green and Bright Royal are from the Joann.com order last month. The green is brighter than it looked on my monitor, which is why I wish I could find a store around here that carries the Canadiana. I still like the colors, but finding colors that work well together could be hard if I can't see them in person.

And now I have to figure out what to do with all this yarn. The purple is too much for a scarf and hat, but not enough for an afghan unless I add other colors. Patons only makes two other shades of purple, but I could probably use the purple with a darker green and a blue and come up with a striped afghan. Or maybe a vest of some sort. I've got some books on hold at the library, so I can look for some ideas.

I'm not a shawl person, or a sweater person, so my options are limited. It stinks to like to crochet, but be limited in what I can make, since I prefer making things that are useful. Some things I will make to give away (catnip mice), but some things I want to keep, especially after putting in that hard work, and picking colors that I love.

Suggestions welcome! Afghan? Vest? Huge scarf? Matching scarves for the whole family (ignoring the fact that DH won't wear a hat, much less a purple scarf)? Leg warmers?

1 comment:

Myownigloo said...

Adorable hat and even more adorable wearer!