Monday, February 26, 2007

Weekends and Rants

I'm not sure if it was a good weekend or not. We used to get things done on the weekend, but now the best we can do is keep up. We get one or two things done, but it seems like they're things I used to do during the week back in the pre-Burrito days. Add the couple of things that get added to the To Do list every weekend, and we're maybe holding steady, or maybe falling behind.

The weekend also pointed out the loss of my brain and memory. We went out for lunch on Saturday, to our usual place (Chevy's Fresh Mex) and as usual had leftovers which I usually bring home for lunch during the week. We asked for a to-go box, packed it all up, and not five minutes later I walked off and left it on the table, like a twit. And kicked myself about it for two hours. Because seriously, I used to have a memory. But lately, it's gone. I get distracted in the middle of something, and forget to finish it. (This explains the trail of stuff I leave behind me during the day.) I was talking to DH on the phone one day, remembered something, and so help me, I forgot what it was before I could even open my mouth to tell DH whatever it was. I walk into the other room to do or get something, and forget halfway there what I'm doing. And people? I'm 34. I'm not old enough for my memory to be going like this. It bugs me, frustrates me, and royally *%$$#$ me off. It's right up there with Not Being Able to Find Anything in my book of things that irk me.

On Sunday, to further emphasize the Loss of my Brain, we hooked up the new printer/scanner/copier. A nice HP 2575 that we got super-cheap at Staples on Black Friday. Two things about this printer drove me up a wall. First, it requires a USB cable to hook up to the computer. HP didn't bother to include said USB cable, so that meant a trip to the store to find one. Honestly, if a piece of hardware requires some other doohickey in order to be functional, the company should provide said doohickey. Especially when it cost us $10, and the company could spend half that to put one in the box. Second, I can not, no matter how hard I look, find a way to scan something and send the scan directly to my image editing program of choice (Paint Shop Pro). The old HP scanner could do this. The new one? No dice, sorry. There's a nice long list of "scan destinations" consisting of HP and Microsoft programs, but absolutely no way to add a program. None. The help guide's advice was simple. Either copy the scan to the clipboard and paste it into the unsupported program, or re-install the program and hope that HP could find it then.

I'm sorry, but NOT GONNA HAPPEN. Don't get me wrong, I love Paint Shop Pro. Used it for 10 years, wouldn't trade it for anything. But last year, I upgraded from PSP 4.0 to PSP 9.0, and the adjustment was big (as expected). The new version can do a lot of things that I'd like to do, but getting the upgrade downloaded, installed, and set up was a headache. It probably took three days (on and off) to get the preferences set the way I wanted them. The big hurdle was figuring out which menu I had to go to in order to change the preferences, and remembering how I had things set up before. If I'd been installing the upgrade on the same PC, instead of setting things up on a new PC, it might have been quicker, but who knows. That's why I put off upgrading the PC for so long. But anyway, after that headache, Bermuda will freeze over before I voluntarily re-install PSP just because HP is too clueless to recognize it.

But taking all evening to hook up and install the new printer, and figure out the scanning issues, means that either I've lost most of the brain power I had in college, or that HP needs to work on their hardware interfaces.

That study I read about mothers having less stress and more patience? Obviously done in an alternate universe. Because the last 9 months have been nothing but stress, and that of course does not have a positive affect on my patience.

Now, we did get a few things done over the weekend. Grocery shopping, some work on the taxes (mainly tracking down the income I earned last year via Ebay, Half.com, etc.), looking at high chairs in a few stores. But it still seems like we got nowhere.

No comments: