Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Occasional flashes of Insight

Every now and then, my brain kicks in and I have one of those "AHA!!" moments. I had one last night, regarding the fight I had over the weekend with the new HP printer/scanner. The scanner software doesn't recognize the photo-editing software that I use (Paint Shop Pro), so there was no way to send a scan directly over to PSP for editing. Instead, HP suggested a convoluted process of saving the scan somewhere, then opening it from PSP by remembering where it was saved and what the file was named. That caused some hair pulling, and a brief desire to re-enact the fax machine scene from Office Space.

Last night, I remembered that PSP has, or had, the capability to pull something directly from the scanner. So I fired everything up and tried it out. And whaddaya know, it worked! No more mucking around with that odd HP interface.

Other random news: The new camera should be delivered tomorrow, and then I'll be hit with another whopper of a learning curve. Should be fun. First I need to make sure that everything works the way it should, and then it's off to shop for the lens adapter and remote control cable. And another camera bag. Two actually, since we need one for the camcorder, along with a Firewire card (probably) and cable, and some sort of software to get the video onto the PC. The video software that was so highly recommended in the "how to do everything" book turns out to have seriously lousy reviews at Amazon, so I need to do more research into that.

No comments: