Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Things to look forward to (and not)

In a word, TV tonight. Multiple hours of lovely goodness. Tuesday nights are like TV overload night around here (along with Fridays). On Tuesdays, we have Gilmore Girls, Veronica Mars, NCIS, The Unit, and Dirty Jobs. Talk about fun. Fridays are almost as fun, with Monk, Psych, Stargate, SG: Atlantis, Doctor Who, and occasionally Numb3rs. The saving grace for Fridays is that USA and SciFi are staggered seasons, so we usually don't have to deal with first-run eps of everything on the same night. Not so with Tuesdays - everything is new tonight. Thank goodness for VCRs. GG and VMars get recorded, the others are watched live. Mostly because the dialogue on GG and VMars is fast enough that I often have to rewind to catch something, in spite of watching with the captioning turned on. (Doesn't help that our CW affiliate has crappy reception which occasionally garbles the captioning.) The dialogue on GG isn't as fast or witty as it was in seasons past, but it's still enough that I have to pay attention. Which, since I'm usually eating dinner in front of the TV while reading the paper, is why we record.

And a note: sometimes, it's not a good idea to eat dinner while watching NCIS, especially during autopsy scenes. I'm just saying.

Speaking of Fridays, we only have a few months before Stargate returns. In a way, I'm not looking forward to it, since the unspeakable suits at SciFi decided to cancel it. Just ten new episodes left, and I'll be left with only my DVDs to enjoy. I can sort of see their point, the show has been on for a while. But while I like Ben Browder and his character, he'll never be able to fill RDA's shoes in the show. I miss O'Neill at times. But then I don't seem to be the "typical" SG1 viewer. I like the dramatic episodes, but I also think Window of Opportunity and Wormhole XTreme were freaking hilarious episodes. For humor, though, The Other Guys is probably my favorite; the scales were tipped by the appearance of Patrick McKenna and John Billingsley in the episode. For the unaware, Patrick McKenna was a regular in the Red Green Show from Canada, and had a guest role in Due South, way back when. He can portray an amazing geek, and a pretty good used-car salesman. John Billingsley was Phlox in Enterprise. (And yes, I liked Enterprise. I liked the theme song, too, specifically the early version before it was up-tempoed in later seasons. Like I said, I'm not the "typical"
viewer.)

No comments: