Friday, February 6, 2009

Not quite what I expected

Back after Christmas, I remembered that I wanted to look for more amaryllis-in-a-box kits, figuring that they'd be marked down after the holidays.

Not so much, as it turned out. I had to look everywhere, and finally found a few bulbs at Walmart. Not marked down, either, even when it was a week after New Year's and the bulbs had all sprouted and bloomed in the boxes. Not so great, if you want to actually grow a decent-looking flower.

I finally broke down and bought two, at full price ($5 and $7). This is the box photo for the $5 amaryllis bulb:


I planted both of them and put them in a window, next to my old amaryllis that was showing signs of wanting to grow. (It's stalled out, by the way - hasn't grown a bit in three weeks.) One new amaryllis bloomed yesterday, and the second one should bloom next week sometime.

This is the supposed "Minerva" in bloom:


Notice any difference? Not quite what's in the picture. I'm not surprised - the stock at Walmart had been picked over and all the boxes were opened. Most of the bulbs weren't even in their boxes when I was there. I'm kind of glad, too, that this one isn't the red & white flower from the box. I've got one of those already, but I don't think I've got a solid white amaryillis.

Now I get to wait a little longer and find out what the next one really looks like. The box photo shows a pink and white flower.

No comments: