Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Bargain shopping

I got inspired today, and took El Burrito shopping this afternoon. We hit the after-Valentine clearance at Walgreens, then stopped at Ace Hardware on the way home.

Walgreens has their Valentine merchandise down to 75% off. We scored a small mountain of chocolate, and some other goodies.

  • one heart-shaped "wreath" that El Burrito asked for, $1.74
  • one Peanuts Valentine shirt for me, $2.49
  • one Snoopy decoration, $2.49
  • 2 "Cars" activity books, 12c each (where has the cent symbol gone?)
  • one bag of Peppermint Patties (heart-shaped), 62c
  • one bag of full-price Hershey's Kisses, $2.99
  • 4 bags of plain chocolate Kisses, 62c each
  • 2 bags of Kisses with almonds, 62c each
  • 8 bags of Kisses with caramel centers, 62c each
I had two coupons for $1.50 off of 3 bags of Kisses (so 6 bags were a whopping 12 cents each), and there's a $5 rebate on a $10 purchase of Hershey's & Twizzlers. So, after doing the math, I spent $11.67 on Kisses, minus $3 in coupons and $5 for the rebate, plus an extra $0.50 for getting the rebate added to my Walgreens gift card. $3.17 plus tax for enough chocolate to last through July at least.

And I got a Snoopy shirt, which I've wanted forever. I like the comic strip, it's one of my favorites.

The Ace Hardware trip was because they had some good sales this week, and had sent me a $5 of of $15 purchase coupon that I wanted to use before I lost it. Picked up two furnace filters at roughly 30% off, some potting soil (seed-starting mix), flower seeds, a microfiber cloth, and some suet.

Suet story - bought the suet feeder last year, finally put it out maybe two weeks ago. Had to find a way to tie it to the deck rail, since that's about the only place to put it. The birds finally found it this week - starlings, of all boring things. I was hoping for something prettier. Oh well. Ace had basic suet blocks, 2/$1. Maybe the starlings will have some company soon.

No comments: