Monday, February 23, 2009

A new resolution

I hereby resolve to stop saving things for "later" or "a better time." Or "company" or a "special occasion."

I just tossed 9 sample-size (2 ounce or so) bottles of lotion & shower gel. I bought them at least 10 years ago, when I was working at the Best Summer Job Ever, and saved them "for later." Yeah, "later" never happened, one of the shower gels leaked all over the drawer they were in (plastic organizer with drawers, luckily), and I finally tossed them all.

I tend to do the same thing with food (there's a box of chocolate mousse mix that's probably expired, and some holiday chocolates) and clothes. Not sure why, maybe it's something I learned from Mom.

Anyway. I'm going to round up all the little samples of this and that, put them in a basket, and start using them. That should give us a month or so where we don't need to shop for shampoo, shower gel, or soap. Ditto for the holiday candy and the "nice" clothes. Then I'll get to work on the Bath & Body Works stuff that I got when they quit making their freesia scent (which they re-introduced a few years later).

And when we get a house, I've got 12 place settings of dishes that have never been out of the box - also purchased 10+ years ago, at the Best Summer Job Ever. They're going on a shelf, and we're eating with them.

No comments: