Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Library day again

All right, I don't know if it's the computer or my internet connection, but things are waaaaaay slow today.

It's Tuesday, so here we go, with more book-related stuff.

Backing up a few days, the Friends of the Library had their big spring book sale last weekend. Tons of books, $1 for hardcover, 50c for paperbacks, plus videos, records, CDs, and a huuuuuge comic book collection that someone donated. I volunteered as a cashier for 2 hours, and did some shopping as well. Spent less than $40 this time. I went shopping alone the first morning of the sale - get there early or park far away - and scored some interesting books (lots of sci fi), 2 vinyl albums, and some CDs. For $6, I got a CD of a local group for my parents, plus two Kevin Welch albums, a Desert Rose Band CD that I hadn't known about, the Mavericks, and the Notorious Cherry Bombs (because I'm a big enough Vince Gill fan that I even have his Pure Prairie League stuff).

Then I stopped at a preschool group yard sale on the way home. It was almost noon, so it was $1 a bag. Came out with 5 books (3 Trixie Belden mysteries, an Isaac Asimov, and An Incomplete Education), 4 8x10 picture frames with glass, a cute stuffed lobster, and a sweater that may be wool and will be experimented on.

On to today. Library-wise, I have 44 things checked out right now, and 7 books on my hold list. We returned a video and three or so books today, and came home with two Sesame Street videos and three books (in other words, 1 thing for me, 4 for El Burrito. Kid needs his own library card as soon as he's old enough.). I need to track down the Jeeves & Wooster book, because it's due back, and start watching the first season/series of Slings & Arrows. If I do that, and go through the crochet books I've been waiting for, I can take about half the pile back to the library next week.

We spent $4.50 at the sale today, came home with a Sophie Kinsella novel that looks new, a book on the Trojan War, and a couple of light-reading paperbacks.

As far as reading goes, I read the Spiderwick Chronicles this week. Seriously, I read the fourth one yesterday, and it took me about an hour. I know they're targeted to younger kids, but I've been spoiled by Harry Potter, apparently. :) They are interesting books, but I can see why they made one movie based on all five books. Trying to do a 90-minute movie per book might be stretching it a little too much. Anyway, they're an interesting read, and I'll have to re-read them again sometime. Maybe I'm just in too much of a hurry.

Otherwise, I'm trying to finish up a few books that I started, so I can get them back to the library. I'm in the middle of an astronomy book and one on PR & marketing, among other things.

We returned the Muppet Family Christmas video today. I really liked this one, it had many of the Muppets from both the Muppet Show and Sesame Street, plus the Fraggles, which I'm totally unfamiliar with. Everyone got some screen time, and the songs were good. Elmo (aka the little red menace, according to Oscar the Grouch) was seen, but not heard. That's a plus in my book, because it seems like 80% of the Sesame Street DVDs I see at the store are all about Elmo.

And that's all for today, because the Internet slowness is bugging me and I've got to think about dinner now.

No comments: