Friday, March 28, 2008

Flowers & other photos

Catching up on photos from the past couple weeks.


****

I broke down and bought a pair of potted shamrocks (Oxalis regnalis, specifically) after St. Patrick's Day. They were $1 each and a different variety from my other shamrocks, so I brought them home. Still planning to buy some bulbs of the purple variety, though.


***

One of my amaryllis bloomed this week. It was a bit of a shock, since I'd forgotten to water the bulbs for a few months. (The hazard of putting them in a cool out-of-the-way spot.) Of the 7 potted bulbs, 4 are alive. The other three are still iffy, and I won't be surprised if they're dead.



***

I cooked corned beef instead of the usual Irish Stew (with beef, not lamb) this year. It's an interesting taste, but I think I prefer the stew right now. I even got a few parsnips this year, but they tasted more peppery than I remembered (unless that was the seasoning from the corned beef).
Sadly, part of the leftover veg hid in the fridge until they were past their prime.

***

Cute El Burrito story time. We went to the condo lunch this month (Bob Evans - not bad, the chicken & noodles was yummy. Plus, smiley-face kiddie fries.) and had a good time. El Burrito took his toy bus along, and it had some adventures. First it got to drive into the butter packet. Then it got a trip to the Bob Evans Car Wash, courtesy of El Burrito. (This photo is a re-enactment, though.) Luckily, it's dried out nicely, but I had to inform El Burrito that he wouldn't pass Grandpa's bus-driver exam if he kept driving off the table or into the butter.

Then we stopped at JoAnn Fabrics on the way home, and the bus landed on the floor a few times. Found out that Elmer's Glue isn't good for sticking wheels to axles, so it's time for plan B. This bus has one whole screw holding it all together (4 or 5 pieces). The screw fell out at the library one day, and little bus bits were everywhere. Most of them landed in the stroller basket, since the footrest sort of acted like a funnel.

***

I bought some Moda Dea Ticker Tape on sale last month, and tried it out. It's pretty yarn, but my hands aren't suited for it at the moment. Even with a daily slathering of Eucerin, the yarn was still snagging on my fingers. It's another one of those yarns that are pretty, but what do I make with it?

I also tried some Bernat Bamboo, but I really don't care for it so far. It's amazingly soft, but the slubs just throw me off or something. Good thing I bought them both on sale.

***
El Burrito got to sit on a tractor last weekend, and he's still talking about it (and about riding in the truck). I guess the first thing he did was push the steering-wheel nut to see if it honked like Grandpa's truck. Dad got a kick out of that. :)

***

One of his "things" lately is a fondness for laundry baskets. He likes to push them up and down the hall, or sit in them. Sheepie got to ride in the laundry basket one day.

No comments: