Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Another Tuesday book post

Today's library stats: 33 checked out, 15 on hold, returned 7 or so, checked out 6. And First Crochet should be waiting for me next time we're there. Finally, the bath mat pattern.

Returned to the library today:
  • Spiderwick Chronicles #1 - pretty good, although obviously an intro to a series. I can see why they didn't go the one-book-per-movie route, because this first one was kind of skimpy. At least compared to Harry Potter, so maybe not "skimpy" if you're a member of the intended audience. :)
  • Darwin's Blade - interesting, and I wonder if it's part of a series
  • a V.I. Warshawski book whose title I forgot already (read it because it was a bit of Walmart parody)
  • I am Legend - didn't want to see the movie without reading the story first, and now I think I'll skip the movie.
  • Learning about Numbers (a Sesame Street video that had two run-ins with our VCR)
  • How do Dinosaurs count to Ten, Spanish version.
At the book sale, we spent $11 for
  • The Romance of Tall Ships - Jonathan Eastland
  • Route 66: the Mother Road - Michael Wallis
  • Successful Prize Contests - Kaufman & Cone (c. 1950 - bought because I really liked the Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio and this is sort of background for that)
  • Daily Life in Ancient Rome, 2nd ed - Jerome Carcopino
  • Quest for a Maid - Frances Mary Hendry
  • Howliday Inn - James Howe
  • On the Farm (kiddy book)
  • Tribal People of the Northwest (VHS)
Read over the weekend: The Coalwood Way, by Homer Hickam - sequel to Rocket Boys aka October Sky. This is a good trilogy, and I keep suggesting Rocket Boys for the local OneRead program. DH & I saw the author speak on campus a few years back, and he's an interesting person.

The little review of Learning about Numbers:
This was a pretty good video, focusing on the Count and Big Bird, with appearances by Ernie and Kermit. It includes little skits for each number, like the "King of Eight" and another one with six soccer socks. Only 30 minutes long, but still entertaining.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

The comment that you didn't want to see the movie until you read the book (I am Legend) and now don't want to see the movie was exactly what I needed to read this morning. I'm not alone!

(Sorry.... but after a week of being taken to task in emails over my stupidity and one genious who decided I didn't understand that sarcasm is indicated by exclamation points... I needed to know there are still readers out there.)

Christi said...

I read more books than I watch movies. (Blame that on the Burrito, though.) I heard good things about Will Smith in I am Legend, but I'm not big on horror movies. Which, after reading the story, this would qualify as. Although, I did watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer for 7 years, and more than a few years of the X-Files. I guess it's just expensive horror movies that I don't like. Horror TV shows, on the other hand, that I'm not paying for individually, seem to be okay.

Sorry about the emails. I've had a couple of bosses like that, and it's really an interesting mind-set that they have.