Monday, March 17, 2008

Concerts and such

Well, I got practically nothing done over the weekend. I put two weeks of receipts into Quicken, DH did the dishes, and we did some shopping. Other than that, nothing. We still haven't found the gift card we got for Xmas, the other handset for the telephone, or El Burrito's left shoe.

We did go to a concert Saturday night, and we took El Burrito with us. The local Celtic Arts Association brought Andy M. Stewart and Gerry O'Beirne to town for St Patrick's Day. It was his first concert, other than a few performances at the KC Renaissance Festival. He did very well, considering he had a very short nap and ate "dinner" (graham crackers, goldfish, and apple bits) during the concert. He was very well-behaved. One of the singers was talking to him during intermission, and complimented him, too. Gerry O'Beirne called our Burrito "an advertisement for having babies." (Which brings even more guilt, because I'm not all that crazy about the idea of having another one.)

And then I proved that I have no ability for small talk, asked very awkwardly for an autograph after the show, and was too chicken to ask Andy Stewart to sign the CD we bought. Because I'm a big chicken, even after taking public speaking in both high school and college.

Now, I'm off to make a loaf of soda bread, if El Burrito will cooperate. The crock pot is working on a corned beef brisket, complete with potatoes, carrots, onion, and parsnips (but no cabbage).

I've given up on finding a purple oxalis (shamrock) in town, so I'll be ordering online. I'm tempted to get both a purple variety and one called Irish Mist, but I'm not sure I'll have room for both - they're hard to find online, the best I've found so far is a place that sells in packs of 25 tubers/bulbs. That's a lot of plants. I saw a total of 5 purple plants in stores this year, and I'm guessing the last three were sold before I realized how scarce they are.

I've also given up on finding a Chieftains performance on TV today, because searchable TV listings seem to be scarce as well. We did watch the NYC St Pat's parade today, but it was skimpy on the music. (And I saw a lot of kilts, which I thought were a Scottish thing more than Irish.)

No comments: