Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Shoes and stuff

All right, the Burrito is finally asleep, so here goes.

* * * *
Shoes

To answer Jen's questions (Thanks, Jen!), El Burrito is 16 months old and apparently takes after his parents, because we both wear a wide shoe (at least in Rockports and New Balance). That's our boy - 40th percentile in height and weight at his last checkup, but 95+ percentile on head size, and already wearing about a size 5 or 6 shoe, as far as I can tell. Oy. Weather-wise, it's Missouri, so it may be cold this winter, or not. Right now, we're running in the 80's but that's a bit warmer than usual, sayeth the TV weather dude. It may get nasty-cold in January again, or we may have a mild winter.

El Burrito is just getting into the walking thing this past month, and we're still in the condo, so he's not doing a lot of outdoor walking unless we visit the grandparents. He does need to get used to wearing something on his feet, and in a few months we'll need something to keep the tootsies warm. Last year, we had winter booties from Carter's, which worked great.

We hit almost every shoe store at the mall last week. It's freaky, less than 100 stores in the mall, and at least 10% are shoe stores. There are 3 flavors of Foot Locker, Payless, Tradehome, and a couple others, plus of course Target, Sears, JCPenney, etc. No Stride Rite in the area, though. And yet, a crap selection of kid shoes, and I had to drive 90 miles to find a pair of Rockport walking shoes for me, because no one in this city carries women's Rockports. Men's, yes.

We ended up getting these at Target - MiniStars, made by Bobux. All leather (although made in China, and DH the cynic says don't be surprised if they meow someday), soft sole. With elephants on top.


(Yes, that's our lovely used-to-be-mauve carpet. The person who furnished this place had to be color blind and a bit clueless.) Only $13, and the only non-girly pair in his size (Large). We figure they'll be good enough as a starter shoe, get him used to not walking barefoot, keep the toes warm inside, and keep him from finding that cross-stitch needle (blunt ended) that I think I lost. So far, he hasn't been trying to take them off, so that's a good thing.

In a month or so, when the weather's colder and he may be doing more outdoor walking, we can go back to Sears or Payless or wherever, and get something a bit sturdier and warmer. By then, he may be able to wear a stiff soled shoe without too much trouble. Right now, 90% of the "real" shoes in his size that we can find have soles that I can't bend with both hands, and putting him in those this soon seems like begging for trouble if you ask me. There is a store in town that carries Robeez, but that's it for the kiddie shoes.

* * * * *

Other Stuff:

A water lily at Shelter Garden. We need to squeeze in a few more visits before the crew starts tearing out the annuals and take the fish in for the winter.


The Tracfone issue is fixed, although I'm not sure I'll get my Ebates money for the order. Took them less than 48 hours to reply.

And, since I missed Jan's invitation to join the Flickr pool, I present (doo doo doo) the outfits that El Burrito and I wore to the library yesterday.


El Burrito is wearing the shorts from a pair of Carter's PJs, a yellow shirt that his favorite aunt found at a thrift store (over a Carter's onesie), and the size 5-7 hat we got at Gymboree last weekend ($4, clearance). Not his most coordinated outfit, but hey. I'm just lucky he held still long enough for the picture. Usually I get the top of his head as he rushes over to grab the lens cover.



And me. Don't remember where the shirt came from; the jeans are a pair of Levis that Mom brought me last week, from my Aunt's yard sale. Not worn enough to even be broken in yet. The perks of aunts with expensive taste and high closet turnover. :) Plus my old New Balance walking shoes that need to be replaced. Pardon the missing head and feet, I was using the 2-second timer and perching the camera on a cracker box.

Someday I need to figure out what to do with my hair, since it's been the same for oh, 20 years or so (basically, since that ill-fated perm my mother talked me into). I've been thinking lately of ditching the bangs (fringe, if you're overseas) but don't know what to do otherwise.

No comments: