Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Lunch

I need to get back to working on lunch ideas. Right now, I'm in this rut of soup (high carb) or peanut butter & jelly. Or smoked turkey & Swiss. Easy, cheap, but not so filling, and boring.

I've tried some frozen meals, and there's one thawing in the microwave right now. This time, it's a "Smart Ones" Weight Watchers meal, the sweet & sour chicken. Last week, it was their chicken mirabella. So far, they taste okay, although I'll skip the chicken mirabella again - the pasta was mushy. The big problem, though, is that these things may as well be a snack. The one today - only 140 calories. Even if I was on some 1,400 calorie/day diet, that's still a drop in the bucket. I've been putting the meal on a flour tortilla just to make it more filling, because otherwise I'm hungry an hour or so later. Even the turkey sandwich will hold for about 3 hours.

Which reminds me, I need to hard-boil some eggs today. We've got at least two dozen in the fridge, and if I boil them, they'll last longer and be more likely to get eaten. Plus, protein, you know.

2 comments:

wrnglrjan said...

My favorite quick thing to have on hand for lunch is chicken ceasar salad. I buy a big bag of the grilled chicken strips from Costco (or make them myself, but buying them is ever so much easier) and romaine lettuce. Keep the chicken in the freezer and just defrost a few chunks for lunch, toss with the lettuce, parmesan cheese and some dressing. If you like, add olives or croutons or both.

Christi said...

I'll have to try that, or something similar. I'm still a bit burned out on salad, after the Gym Year, but I need to get over it. :)